How many do I need???

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am going to be getting some otto's and need to know how many to get for each tank. Can anyone help me here tank listings in profile thanks....

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I know that they like to be in groups, so you should probably keep at least 2 to together.

Gwenz

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
55G = 6 to 8
29G= 6 to 8
20G = 2 to 3
10 G = 2 to 3 only after cory fry are bigger(they will eat too much of the babies food )
Just my two cents worth
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do agree, they are the sweetest little fish and I love every one of mine. Some of them don't come out to play very often but the ones in Alex's tank feel very free to come out day or night and I see a lot of them. They are so CUTE!!

Rose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rose do you think that a light (lunar?) that allows night viewing of the oto's, without disturbing them (I guess they can't see this light?) since they come out mostly at night, would be the only likely way to be able to spend a good amount of time watching them at night doing their oto business?

Another possible problem for their comfort and noctural activity may be that while the tank light is off, it's in my office and the light would be on at night. I try to keep on just a low light lamp as much as I can at night but wonder if that'll upset the otos too.

If I got noctural lights, I could turn off the lamp when I used them. Just wondering if the light in my office at night might disturb them too much with or without a lunar light.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Karyn

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have mine in my den where the television and my computer desk is. I go on about my life in the evening even after 6:30pm (when the timer puts them to sleep ~ lights out) and as long as the light is not on in the tank they are not disturbed. I suppose you could use a lunar lamp if you wanted to watch them but I have not spent much time watching them during the evening. They do come out some during the morning and after water changes.

I just planted the Christmas present plants in a couple of the tanks and they are playing now but they will soon go back to bed.

Rose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am loving Oto's the more I learn about them.  This time I'm researching *all* their needs before bringing them home unlike when we got Zen.  I'm going to get a yo yo Loach as well and I'm loving them too.  The yoyo will help with the snails that you, apparently, always get with live plants and I definitely don't want to use Had A Snail. 

My gawd, that stuff is soo toxic that you must call poison control if you even get it on your skin (yikes).  I wonder how many read the small print on that stuff.

The lps keeps snails in with their plants and many unsuspecting peeps are ending up loaded with snail eggs and so with a huge amount of snails too.  The night I was returning my plants because of the snail eggs, another man came in and said he ended up with snails from buying plants from them.  He was led to the Had A Snail, the most expensive med there for its size. 

I'm suspicious I guess...I mean, why keep snails in with the plants ensuring customers will need to come and buy the expensive med and then....what that product does to our water supply if it isn't correctly used and disposed of worries me. 

I got off subject a bit...

I won't worry, then, about the lights in my office bothering them.  Thanks ((Rose))

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom