How many discus

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by 91five0, Aug 9, 2014.

1. 9

91five0 Valued Member Member

How many discus can i stock in a 180 gallon planted tank with 100 gallon sump. And a small school of cardinal tetras

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Is this a standard 180gal? Just trying to figure size. To be honest, if it were me, I'd choose about 8-10 nice quality discus and stock them as I like them to be the centerpiece but not overbearing and filling the tank (planted tank wise). At least 4"+, they do better than juvis in planted tanks. The heavier your plant stocking the lower number of discus fish should be IMO, you need to find that visual balance. I'd say 8 minimum and around 16 is your top end. You have good volume with a 100gal sump as well but then we start talking about space issues where the fish actually swim and live. They will inevitably pair so be prepared for that as well, you may end up having to remove some.

3. OP
    OP

It is a 72x24x24. I know they are discus regardless of coloring. But should I only keep a couple 2 or three groups of the spices instead of all different colors

4. Crunchy

Crunchy Valued Member Member

Technically you can stock up to 20 Adults max in a 180 bare bottom., but to be safe, 16 is good & maintains better water quality. 12 if there is a lot of decorations.

5. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

with a planted tank I would definitely have 4 inch or above in size. Juvies can be done but it takes a lot of attention. I also feel that stocking can be from 12-18. the more you have the heavier the filtration should be.
    as for color variation, it really depends on what your looking for. a rainbow of colors is pretty but a tank with 1 strain can be very stunning in itself.
    I have also read where some colors seem to be a bit more aggressive than others.

6. OP
    OP

Disc61 I was just unsure about them breeding and colors. Will the cross between colors for highbreds. Or are they like my Africans and mostly stay with their likeness.

7. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

They will breed and cross, but unlike Africans its a single species so it's usually ok. Some matches will give you ugly fry, but other than being ugly they won't be hybrids or anything. Stock the colors you want to look at, the chances of fry getting past the fry stage in a planted community tank are slim anyway.

8. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Yep, what Slug said. Haha
    the crossing you want to be careful of is with pigeon based crossing with non pigeon based, that is where the ugly will show up more.
    but I agree in a planted tank your fry will have a hard time making it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice