Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here is the specification of my tank :

Fluva vista 23 g
Aquarium Capacity: 23 US Gal.
Aquarium Size : 30” x 12” x 18”

I know about the (really) basic rule of 1 inch per gallon. But what about the number of species? I`d like to know how many species I could have and make sure that all my fishes will be healthy and happy. I`d like to have shrimp, does that count ?

thx

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmmm. That’s a really loaded question that I’m unsure on how to begin to answer. I don’t think anyone can give you a definitive answer on the amount of species you can have. For one the inch per gallon rule isn’t accurate even in the slightest, so get that out of the picture all together haha. But some species of fish need to be kept with a certain number of their own kind (schooling/shoaling fish) and depending on which type you pick and their recommended tank sizes, it can limit you to what else you could have in the tank. Only certain species have compatible temperament, temperature, water hardness/softness, etc. etc.

What I’m trying to say is, I would plan out what type of tank you want to have (tropical/coldwater/etc etc) and see what sorts of fish are compatible. I’m sure there’s a list on here somewhere that shows what works well in a 20-23 gallon tank together. I’ll see if I can find it for you.

peterphonic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BReefer97 said:
I would plan out what type of tank you want to have (tropical/coldwater/etc etc)
You are right, I forgot to tell that I am going with tropical fish, plated tank (not that heavily planted though). It is my 7th day of cycling and my ph seems to be between 7.4 and 7.8, API test kit not that easy to read. I think it would be safer to try to lower a bit my ph.

But back to the subject I am already playing with aqadvisor.com website. I try to see all easy fishes that can fit my tank to finally lend the choice to my daughter from what I found. So, what is better :
5x zebra danio
3x guppy
6x amano shrimp
5x cardinal tetra
5x panda cory
5x lempeye kilifish

OR

8x zebra danio
3x guppy
6x amano shrimp
8x cardinal tetra
8x panda cory

?

Is it better many small group of shoaling fishes, or just 2 groups of shoaling fish having 8 and more?

Thank you!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The fis hhave to temp compatible, which cardinal and zebra danio are not. You can switch the cardinal tetras for neons and have everyone match up for temp requirements (they are going to be in the 73-74 degree range, not 78-80).
If the fish are comfortable they will school/shoal less often because there isn't something they need to run from.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom