How Many Different Schools/shoals Can Fit In A 55g Tank? Question

1. CPARKTX Member Member

How many different schools (different types of schooling fish) can safely fit in a 55g tank? i.e. can you fit schools of both tetra and danios?

2. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Less is more IMO from a visual standpoint. Most of the schoolers tend to swim mid-level and they are tangled up much of the time. Has a crowded appearance. But you asked about safety though and several properly chosen schools would be completely fine.

3. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would do one or two but you could fit three maximum of small/medium fish (harlequins, zebra danios, neon tetras, rummynoses, etc.) The fish would be happier in a few larger schools rather than lots of small schools.

4. brousecasey12 Well Known Member Member

I agree with BottomDweller in my experience! I made the mistake of being fish newbie and was like "I want to have all the fishes in the world in my tank!" Meanwhile, the fish are overstocked and I need to transfer some but don't have the space to do so! So if I were you, I'd have larger schools, but only two! I think seeing a bunch of neons and harlequins of rummies together is a beautiful sight! However it is your decision, and you do what you want to do!