How Many Different Schools/shoals Can Fit In A 55g Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by CPARKTX, Jul 14, 2017.

1. CPARKTXValued MemberMember

How many different schools (different types of schooling fish) can safely fit in a 55g tank? i.e. can you fit schools of both tetra and danios?

2. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Less is more IMO from a visual standpoint. Most of the schoolers tend to swim mid-level and they are tangled up much of the time. Has a crowded appearance. But you asked about safety though and several properly chosen schools would be completely fine.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would do one or two but you could fit three maximum of small/medium fish (harlequins, zebra danios, neon tetras, rummynoses, etc.) The fish would be happier in a few larger schools rather than lots of small schools.

4. brousecasey12

brousecasey12Well Known MemberMember

I agree with BottomDweller in my experience! I made the mistake of being fish newbie and was like "I want to have all the fishes in the world in my tank!" Meanwhile, the fish are overstocked and I need to transfer some but don't have the space to do so! So if I were you, I'd have larger schools, but only two! I think seeing a bunch of neons and harlequins of rummies together is a beautiful sight! However it is your decision, and you do what you want to do!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice