Question How many days old bbs (baby brine shrimp) still good for new born angel frys ?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a nifty little brine shrimp hatcher - the brine shrimp is now 4 days old. They are still lively. My question is how old can the brine shrimp be and still be both small enough for very small angel frys AND still have good nutritional value ?

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually under 3 days. Almost all the nutrition that comes from brine shrimp comes from the yolk sack, so when theyre done with that, they lose most of the nutrients.

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Baby brine shrimp is best stored in the fridge in new salt water; in this state you can keep it in the fridge up to 3 days (though since their nutritional quality declines over that time I would personally get all of the brine shrimp fed by the end of day 2). Alternately, you can put the brine shrimp back in the hatchery with new salt water and enrich them...they can start eating 8 hours post hatch and have a fully functional digestive tract by 24 hours, so after they are in the hatchery for a day after hatching you could feed them algae (or a powder like spirulina, astaxanthin, cracked cell wall chlorella, etc), selco, selcon, etc for 12-24 hours to enrich the baby brine shrimp and then feed them to the fry (note that the resulting brine shrimp will be somewhat larger than newly hatched brine shrimp and may be too large for young fry to eat). If you enrich the brine shrimp longer than 12 hours, it is best to do a 100% water change on the hatchery before enriching them any further.

OP
jake37

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok. the current ones are 4 days old. I'll feed them but setup a new batch tonight and going forward try for 2 1/2 days. My frys aren't old enough to eat solids yet (1 week old) but i think if i set the hatchery up by 5pm i'll have some fresh ones by 7am.

New Threads