How Many Days I Can Leave A Betta Without Food?

1. A

Arrielle New Member Member

Hello,

We plan to go in vacation in a couple of weeks but I do not know how many days could I live my bettas without food?

I have 2 ( in 2 different tanks)
    I feed them 5 small pallets / day at 8 am.
    They both have filters and heaters .

Thank you for your help.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

how long will you be gone for?

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

They'd be find for a week without food, most are fine for two weeks but personally I don't like going longer than a week. If it's just a few days to a week, you've got nothing to worry about :)

4. OP
    OP
    A

Arrielle New Member Member

5-6 days at the most.
    We also have 2 dogs and to keep them in a kennel is an arm and a leg

5. Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

Is it possible to perhaps arrange for a friend, relative or neighbor to stop by & drop some pellets in ?

6. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

They'll be fine for 5-6 days, if I were you, just feed them 1 and 1/2 their normal, but feed in two separate feedings during the day for 2-3 days before you leave. I mean, of course it would be better to have someone come and feed them, but often they don't understand how much they need to eat and end up feeding like 20 pellets a day.

7. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

Your fine

8. T

Td644 New Member Member

Not sure if this is an option but back when I had my betta's If I was going out of town I'd throw some live bloodworms in their tanks a few would survive get in the substrate and my boys could have snacks while I was away.

9. Neutral-Waterinos

Neutral-Waterinos Valued Member Member

They should be totally fine just start building up their reserves by feeding high fat foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp. So by the time you leave they should be more than fine : ) If your still nervous I would get one of those tabs that you can stick to the wall of your tank which should last for two or so days and do a large water change.

10. KakeHugs

KakeHugs Well Known Member Member

Ive gone for over 2 weeks

11. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I went away for 3 weeks and didnt lose a fish. You would be suprised how long they can go with feeding. Theyll find food in the tank themselves.