How many danios to cycle with?

Kbrown
I have a ten gallon tank and decided to cycle with danios. Yes I now about the whole nitrogen cycle and after the stress I've put myself on I would NEVER have chosen to do this with fish. I bought three zebra danios from petsmart. One died within the hour, (that was a petsmart thing) one will probably be dead by tomorrow morning and one is very active and looks alright. I'm going out tomorrow to get some new danios from a different pet store. The problem is, the active looking danio is very aggressive. When the weak one found the strength to swim around a bit it was constantly nipped at. I'm afraid that either petsmart or the constant bullying will kill him soon. How many danios should I get so that I can properly cycle the tank but still not have a superiority complex with that one danio?

TexasDomer
I would not add any more danios to cycle your tank. I'd return the two you have and do a fishless cycle. Petsmart should let you return fish, no questions asked. If you won't return them, you can cycle your tank with one or two danios (the recommended rule for fish-in cycling is 1 fish for every 10 gals), but you should rehome your danios after cycling, as a 10 gal is too small for a school of danios. Personally I don't think it's fair to the fish to use them for fish-in cycling if you're going to rehome them after.

oldsalt777
Hello Kb...

A 10 G tank is no place for active swimmers like Danios. They need a minimum of 20 gallons. I've kept Danios for a while in a 20 G tank and it wasn't large enough. They really weren't happy until I moved them to one of my 55 G tanks and then they could swim like they were made for the tank.

I would get a much larger tank if you want to give yourself the best chance for success keeping Danios or any other active fish.

One last thing. Cycling a tank with fish is fine for the fish as long as you select a species that will easily tolerate changes in the water chemistry. Danios, White Clouds and Rasboras are best if you like egglayers. If you want livebearing fish, then Guppies, Platys and Swordtails are fine. Fish-in cycling gets it's poor reputation from those using the wrong species and not monitoring the water chemistry properly.

Old

chaaan30
I did a cycle with 4 danios in my 10 gallon tank. Use seachem prime when dechlorinating tap water.

Emtbreid
Junne
I would not add any more danios to cycle your tank. I'd return the two you have and do a fishless cycle. Petsmart should let you return fish, no questions asked. If you won't return them, you can cycle your tank with one or two danios (the recommended rule for fish-in cycling is 1 fish for every 10 gals), but you should rehome your danios after cycling, as a 10 gal is too small for a school of danios. Personally I don't think it's fair to the fish to use them for fish-in cycling if you're going to rehome them after.

I could not agree more, a 10 gallon will not be big enough anyway after your cycle is complete.. Petsmart will usually take the fish back within 14 days.
Cycling with pure ammonia ( or something like Tim's brand ) is the safest and most humane way to go.

Good luck!

Emtbreid
The danios in a 10 gallon seems to be a matter of opinion. I have 2 glo danios in my 10g, and did so because they were appropriate according to aqua advisor and under the freshwater profile of this very site. I can tell you I've just completed a cycle with two glo danios in addition to other fish and all are well, and will add two more danios in the coming days.

Junne
The danios in a 10 gallon seems to be a matter of opinion. I have 2 glo danios in my 10g, and did so because they were appropriate according to aqua advisor and under the freshwater profile of this very site. I can tell you I've just completed a cycle with two glo danios in addition to other fish and all are well, and will add two more danios in the coming days.

I am not sure what your question is if you already have the answer,

Glofish danios, as well as other varieties of the danio family are schooling fish and need at last 6 - 10 minimum to feel safe. Yes I see that you have had 2 but a schooling fish, you should have more, which in your 10 gallon would not be big enough. Also to note, aqua advisor is just a guideline and is terribly incorrect depending on fish ADULT size, among other variables.

Emtbreid
I wasn't asking a question, I was making a statement to the op. It's not just Aqua advisor that states that, it's this site under freshwater fish profiles as well as several other places on the web.

TexasDomer
Some Fishlore profiles are inaccurate and out of date too.

Emtbreid
Who's responsibility is it to update those profiles? Nothing like a newcomer doing all his research and looking at several different places and seeing his fish selection is appropriate for his size tank he has only to come here and be told otherwise.

TexasDomer
Who's responsibility is it to update those profiles? Nothing like a newcomer doing all his research and looking at several different places and seeing his fish selection is appropriate for his size tank he has only to come here and be told otherwise.

I like Seriously Fish profiles. They have good information and do research to back it up.

Junne
I agree - the profile is out of date.

If you have ever seen the box of a Fluval edge ( I have the 6.6 gallon ) it shows pictures of Tiger barbs, Zebra Danios and even a goldfish! Then you see the bowls at the fish store for Bettas. People see that and think since its being sold at the fish store, it must be right! Just making that as a comparison when people say Zebra's can go in a 10 gallon ( assuming you have a school of them )
Just because it is on a box or on the internet, doesn't necessarily mean it is true or right to do it.

Research, Research, Research before buying ANY pet!

Emtbreid
I agree - the profile is out of date.

If you have ever seen the box of a Fluval edge ( I have the 6.6 gallon ) it shows pictures of Tiger barbs, Zebra Danios and even a goldfish! Then you see the bowls at the fish store for Bettas. People see that and think since its being sold at the fish store, it must be right! Just making that as a comparison when people say Zebra's can go in a 10 gallon ( assuming you have a school of them )
Just because it is on a box or on the internet, doesn't necessarily mean it is true or right to do it.

Research, Research, Research before buying ANY pet!

I did research, research, research, and whether you think the profile is incorrect, outdated, whatever.... I did research, and this site, aqua advisor, liveaquaria all said they were good. Telling me I need to research is a bit unfair given I did exactly that, apparently my sources are what you guys don't agree on.

Danjamesdixon
Don't we count as a source as well?

I have to agree. Danios are way too active for a 10 gallon tank. It's not about bioload - it's about swimming space.

Emtbreid
Don't we count as a source as well?

I have to agree. Danios are way too active for a 10 gallon tank. It's not about bioload - it's about swimming space.

You do! But I wasn't aware of the forum before that point.
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1452636809.384246.jpg

Regardless of whether it's thought that piece is outdated, that's one of the places I looked and got info.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Salty Betta
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishBeginner2020
Replies