How many cory's?

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Points
176
I have a 20 gallon aquarium. It is currently stocked with: 1 male betta, 2 dojo loaches, 1 male guppy, 2 otos, and 1 black mystery snail. (plus three swordtail fry in a net-box who will be going to my LFS) How many cory cats would I be able to add to my tank safely? I saw some lovely chocolate-brown ones at my LFS, and although I haven't been able to identify them yet, I'd like to get 3 or 4 of them to add to my tank. Would that be too many, or would it be ok? Could I even get more, if i chose to?

S.
 

Skadunkadunk

Valued Member
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Well, before you getthe cory cats, you are going together want to return the Betta or the guppy because these fish incompatible. You are also going to want to get at least five more guppies if you decide to keep the guppy. You will also want to get get at least one more loach and oto. I would get rid of the guppy and the loaches if possible,and then you will be able to get six cory cats (which is the minimum you willwant to keep.)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Skadunkadunk said:
Well, before you getthe cory cats, you are going together want to return the Betta or the guppy because these fish incompatible. You are also going to want to get at least five more guppies if you decide to keep the guppy. You will also want to get get at least one more loach and oto. I would get rid of the guppy and the loaches if possible,and then you will be able to get six cory cats (which is the minimum you willwant to keep.)
First of all, my guppy and Betta get along very well. Second, why would I need to get rid of my loaches? Are they incompatible with cory cats? According to the chart I refer to, loaches are compatable with Bettas and cory cats, and can be kept with guppies "with caution" (again, no problem in my tank).
What I need to know is if my tank would be overloaded if I added cory cats to it. I believe that three is the minimum recommended amount.

S.
 

poefox

Well Known Member
Messages
582
Reaction score
0
Points
176
I'm thinking you could theoretically get 3, if the ones you have in mind are of the smaller type. (like max growth 1.5 inches)

I looked up the dojo loaches online and they are as you say peaceful community fish. The only concern I'd have is about space, just make sure those corys you want to get will stay fairly small or you will have an overcrowding problem possibly. Otherwise, have fun, corys are fun and playful and easygoing little beasts.
 

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,676
Reaction score
20
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm with Poe. There are cories that grow to 1 1/2" and then there are cories that grow to almost 3". If you get the smaller variety you are safe to get 3, if they are the larger ones then I would get another Oto to keep your little guy company (they really don't like to be alone). The Dwarf Cories are lovely and darling little fish though. Your Oto may bond with the cories if you get them.

Rose
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Points
176
chickadee said:
I'm with Poe.  There are cories that grow to 1 1/2" and then there are cories that grow to almost 3".  If you get the smaller variety you are safe to get 3, if they are the larger ones then I would get another Oto to keep your little guy company (they really don't like to be alone).  The Dwarf Cories are lovely and darling little fish though.  Your Oto may bond with the cories if you get them.

Rose
Um.... I have two Otos. I would have more, but the ones my LFS got in recently looked like they may have a fungal disorder. White cottony splotches on them.... so I decided to either wait or go with cories. The ones I saw (cories) looked like a dwarf variety, but I am still looking for information about them. I don't want to make another uninformed purchase!
Thanks for all the help... this forum is truly a godsend!

S.
 

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,676
Reaction score
20
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry, Sara, I misread the information. I get to reading and skip words sometimes. Thanks for straightening that out.

Rose
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Points
176
chickadee said:
Sorry, Sara, I misread the information.  I get to reading and skip words sometimes.  Thanks for straightening that out.   

Rose
No need to apologize, Rose! You've been such a help and comfort to me.

Sara
;D
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom