How Many Corys Would Be Comfortable In A 29 Gallon?

Fruity
It's an established tank, lightly planted, black diamond blasting sand substrate, cascade 1000 canister filter. Currently home to 9 neon tetras and 2 albino corys. I will be adding 4 more albinos later this week when my lfs gets their shipment in.

My question is: can I also add 6 panda corys at a later date or will they be too crowded? Aqadvisor says I'd only be at around 80% stocking and have plenty of filtration, but how much room do these guys need?

Sorry about the typo in the title, can you even change it?

AquaticJ
I definitely don’t see a problem with that.

Lorekeeper
I don't see a problem with it, either. Just be aware that those two species of cory won't really shoal together, if that's what you're looking for. If you're looking for two separate groups of fish, go for it!

To change your title, there should be a "Thread Tools" button on the top right corner of your first post.

Fruity
I don't see a problem with it, either. Just be aware that those two species of cory won't really shoal together, if that's what you're looking for. If you're looking for two separate groups of fish, go for it!

To change your title, there should be a "Thread Tools" button on the top right corner of your first post.

Yeah I didn't think they'd shoal together, thus 6 per group. As long as we're not going to have turf wars or anything in our peaceful little tank, lol!

And thanks for the pointer on the title, fixed it.

Fruity
I definitely don’t see a problem with that.

I know you've commented on my previous posts, I really appreciate the input! Just triple checking before I take on more fishies. Want them to be happy!

AquaticJ
No problem! Lorekeeper is always giving good advice as well, for future reference. Your fish will be happy.

Deku-Cory
I keep 8 in my 29 currently, 4 Bronze and 4 Peppered. I plan to up the numbers to 12 once my fry grow up so I have good numbers. A 29 gives them enough room to be active and happy, even in bigger numbers.
They’re incredibly peaceful fish, though different types don’t truly shoal together they happily mingle with each other when they feel like it. So you don’t have to worry about anything like territory aggression or bullying. In fact I would be very surprised to find any case of Cories being aggressive. It’s just not their nature! They’ve discovered that the best way to live life is to not worry about anything except food!

Goldie&Yami
I have 3 different types in mine plus 2 mystery snails and they get along swimmingly....
I have never had any problems. I have even seen the 'Mama Bear' of my cory group try to "share" food with my Momma Mystery who responded with lightly "snacking" on the cory's head in the way of the food. There was no retaliation. It was pretty funny to see tho. "Could you please excuse me while I finish my breakfast?! Yeah? Thanks!"

Sarah73
You could do this. 6x more albinos
8x emeralds
The reason I say no to pandas is because they are cooler water fish.

Fruity
You could do this. 6x more albinos
8x emeralds
The reason I say no to pandas is because they are cooler water fish.

Hmm, I'm glad you said that about the temperature, thanks!

IHaveADogToo
Personally, I think it's better to get more of the ablino corys instead of add another type of cory. Corys are a shoaling fish. 6 is the bare minimum number for a shoal. Why have multiple bare minimum shoals when you can have a decent sized shoal of one species instead? They will behave more naturally in larger numbers of one species.

Fruity
Personally, I think it's better to get more of the ablino corys instead of add another type of cory. Corys are a shoaling fish. 6 is the bare minimum number for a shoal. Why have multiple bare minimum shoals when you can have a decent sized shoal of one species instead? They will behave more naturally in larger numbers of one species.

Interesting, thanks for the input! That seems like a better idea in regards to both shoal size and temperature compatibility, thanks!

I love this community, everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable!

DoubleDutch
Or add bronze or green aeneus.
Funny thing is there don't excist any natural shoals of albinos hahaha.

IHaveADogToo
Funny thing is there don't excist any natural shoals of albinos hahaha.

That's true. The albinos they sell at the pet store are usually just albinos of the bronze corydora.

Gabe1408
Sometimes it’s nice to have two shoals. But I’m all for one large school. Never had just one school but now I’m thinking about a school of habrosus, you could make that like twenty i. A twenty gallon tank long. Anyways,
Whatever you do try and find one of the big ones out of the bunch at lfs. Those are the girls I feel having them helps to stimulate schooling and natural Corey behaviors.

It’s interesting to see two schools of Cories. If poster does do it I’m sure you will enjoy seeing two different cities interact with each other as much as I do. Such gregarious little guys

I

Sarah73
I have 8-10 albinos, 7 blue spotted cories, 8 emeralds along with 8-10 bronze.

Annahhayy
Okay so basically, I have a 29 gal tank that has 6 corydoras, a betta, and a snail. I’m an idiot and I bought all different colors of corydoras thinking that it was just that- different colors. I didn’t know the different patterns of corys were different species. I originally wanted to breed them but I was told you shouldn’t cross breed them. My question is- I have 2 albinos. Could I get four more albinos and attempt to breed in this tank or should I move the four different ones I have out. Can this tank occupy 10 catfish?

mattgirl
Okay so basically, I have a 29 gal tank that has 6 corydoras, a betta, and a snail. I’m an idiot and I bought all different colors of corydoras thinking that it was just that- different colors. I didn’t know the different patterns of corys were different species. I originally wanted to breed them but I was told you shouldn’t cross breed them. My question is- I have 2 albinos. Could I get four more albinos and attempt to breed in this tank or should I move the four different ones I have out. Can this tank occupy 10 catfish?
Just for perspective. I have at least 25 corys on my 55 gallon tank. I say at least because I can't get an accurate head count. There could even be 30 of them All this to say, Yes you can add 4 more to your 29 gallon tank.

ProudPapa

You should be fine with 10, since the betta and snail are the only other occupants. However, even if you add all one type I don't know that you won't still get crosses with the others in there. You need better information from someone more experienced with them. DoubleDutch would probably know.

kallililly1973
I have 12-15 green corys in my 20 long so adding more albinos wouldn't be a problem for your 29. I'd do a total of 8-10 in there. But then again that's just my opinion and tend to maybe just ever so slightly overstock my tanks

Derek2408
I have 3 julI Cory’s and 1 sterbaI (bought thinking it was juli). They look soooo similar. Although they all do school together. I do notice the sterbaI being left out at times. Which is crazy cuz they look so alike

Annahhayy
I jus
You should be fine with 10, since the betta and snail are the only other occupants. However, even if you add all one type I don't know that you won't still get crosses with the others in there. You need better information from someone more experienced with them. DoubleDutch would probably know.
I Just thought they were like dogs. You have brown labs and black labs but they’re essentially still labs and can breed without issues.

mattgirl
I jus

I Just thought they were like dogs. You have brown labs and black labs but they’re essentially still labs and can breed without issues.
Unlike dogs I think corys are more like cats. I don't think you would see a lion breeding with a tiger. even though they are both cats.

Derek2408
I have 12-15 green corys in my 20 long so adding more albinos wouldn't be a problem for your 29. I'd do a total of 8-10 in there. But then again that's just my opinion and tend to maybe just ever so slightly overstock my tanks
In that tank do you have other fish. Or is it just Cory’s ?

kallililly1973

Attachments

• 5083278B-89DE-4387-A171-899BA7978E4F.jpeg
    5083278B-89DE-4387-A171-899BA7978E4F.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 87
  • EF4EA7B7-BAA5-42E4-9B73-94A496C97A12.jpeg
    EF4EA7B7-BAA5-42E4-9B73-94A496C97A12.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 87
  • E6120C6E-2BA1-4614-9BAF-E66D1E044510.jpeg
    E6120C6E-2BA1-4614-9BAF-E66D1E044510.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 85
Derek2408
Between the guppies and Cory’s that must be a pretty entertaining tank

kallililly1973
Between the guppies and Cory’s that must be a pretty entertaining tank
I just added a couple pics of it in my previous post . And yes those are more green cory eggs and my buddy "hidey" the clown pleco... Amazing colors just wish they were more personable.

Derek2408
I just added a couple pics of it in my previous post
Ah I see. Envious of your plants. I have 8 diff plants in my 20 H but it hasn’t filled out yet I want it to ultimately look like a jungle like yours does

kallililly1973
Ah I see. Envious of your plants. I have 8 diff plants in my 20 H but it hasn’t filled out yet I want it to ultimately look like a jungle like yours does
It takes a little time but you will get there. I have 7 tanks that are very heavily planted looking and yes just a tad overstocked ... My signature has a link to a video of my tanks if your interested in seeing more

jinjerJOSH22
Unlike dogs I think corys are more like cats. I don't think you would see a lion breeding with a tiger. even though they are both cats.
Actually that's a thing, it's called a Liger.

mattgirl
DoubleDutch
Actually that's a thing, it's called a Liger.
In most cases another species has to be involved / interfere to get such ridiculous crossbreeds : humans.

But that's the same in Corys hahaha

Some can / will interbreed quite easy, others don't.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
whiterabbit3040
Replies
Views
magic8
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views