How many corys in 30 gal

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I currently have 2 emerald and 1 albino cory in my 30 gal, which really probably only has 28 gallons in it. Tank mates are two angels, 6 red-eyed tetras, and 2 siamese algae eaters. I'd like to add more corys if possible but don't want to be over-stocked. Thoughts anyone?

My LFS only has emeralds, albinos, and julis (probably false julis). I've never bought fish on-line.

Thanks!

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
u sound close to fully stocked i think with the right filtration u could ad 2-3 juliis

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Emeralds get really big compared to other cories (they aren't really cories). I think in a 30, you can probably have 6 regular ones, like the albinos or julis. Your tank is 36 inches, right?

This assumes you don't keep the emeralds

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for your responses!

The albino and emeralds are currently the same size...about 1.5" long. I must keep them as the LFS doesn't take back fish. I really don't want to get any more albinos because they blend in with the substrate and I spend a lot of time looking for them to make sure they are OK. So it sound like I would need to get julis if I wanted any more corys...would 3 be too many?

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i think thatd be it no more lol

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't know that your emeralds will continue to school with the smaller ones as they grow. Cories tend to school with other cories their own size, and 2 inches versus 4 inches is a big difference.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ive no experience with the emeralds so id listen to meenu

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't have experience with them either. Jaysee posted a pic a few weeks ago with a gigantic emerald cory next to a regular one.

Here is it:

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea unless you have a 55 gallon layin around id see if u cant return the emeralds

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just read a profile that says they can go in a 30, but the same profile said they need to be in schools of at least 10.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sheesh one of those must be incorrect *scratches head*

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's amazing how much contradictory information there is out there! I think I am just going to wait and see how things go. If the emeralds quit hanging out with the albino, I may have to get him/her a friend or two.

Thanks for your help!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads