How many Corydoras Aeneus in 26g as only fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Reyes, Aug 11, 2015.

1. ReyesValued MemberMember

I'm thinking in advance now, because if the babies that I have right now survive I would like to keep as many as possible.

Right now I have a schoal of 8 adult bronze Corys in my 26g, could I keep 8 more? AQAdvisor says with my filtration I could keep 20, but seeing the size of the tank I think that is stretching it a bit...

Can those of you who keep only Corys' tanks tell me a bit about your set-ups?

Many many thanks!

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

What are the dimensions of the tank?
    Aenus corys get a good 3" so footprint is important for them

3. ReyesValued MemberMember

Well, it "seems to be" 32''14''15'', but then the Quick Calculator gives me a size of 29 US Gallons:confused: and I am quite sure it's only 26g

4. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

US gallons are smaller than imperial, I make it 24 imperial gallons or 110 litres.
    I'd only keep around 12 aenus in that size tank.

5. ReyesValued MemberMember

Perfect, thanks a lot for that:) I really thought that thank was waaaay too small to keep so many of them, you have to AQAdvisor with a pinch of salt.

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Keeping 15 (smaller type) Aeneus in a 55 litre. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439306089.798386.jpg

Just spawned
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439306111.669308.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1439306122.411972.jpg

7. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I agree with Coradee, 12.

8. ReyesValued MemberMember

9. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Some species of corys are found in blackwater habitats where the water is stained from fallen leaves & vegetation.
    Leaves can be beneficial in a breeding tank as the fry use them as hiding places & feed on the insuforia they produce, I use oak & beech in mine

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Thanks explaining Coradee.
    Cause my oakleaves run out I bought 100 Catappaleaves. They're staining the water more than earlier ones. I love the leaves and stained water !!!
    In autumn I'll collect a lot more oak and beechleaves than past year.

11. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

You might find they need some dither fish above them to feel safe. I wouldn't keep them as the only fish.

12. ReyesValued MemberMember

Really?? Mine don't even shoal anymore and apparently they only do that if they feel very safe. My tank is a disorganised mess of flying fish;)

13. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

I don't understand your point here... :)

14. ReyesValued MemberMember

Sorry ;) I meant that my Corys must be feeling very safe in the tank as they don't swim together at all, it's as if they were from different species all together. Only sometimes do their swim in pairs or in trios, but that's all.

My plan was to get some Harlequin Rasboras, but I would love to keep as many babies as I can, so I need to decide what I want most: baby Corys or another type of fish in my tank

15. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

They don't school all the time, but they still need the company of conspecifics :)

Mine don't school every minute, but they like to travel in groups most of the time, be it in pairs, trios, or quartets. They usually all "sleep" together though.

16. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Yeah they'll probably "relax" more than they would naturally once they know they're safe, but when you first get them and put them in an otherwise empty tank... here most fish will be nervous, because the way they see it is that all the other fish are in hiding.... so there must be something dangerous nearby... They might not settle in this situation... but they might.

:)

17. ReyesValued MemberMember

I see what you mean... Thanks for the tip! I will keep the 8 that I have now and include the Rasboras as soon as the fry are big enough to be adopted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice