How many cories?

ricksgups

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 guppies in there right now. I would love to get a couple cories, but I want to make sure I do this right. The man at the pet store said I should only get one because of the size they get. But I've heard they are happiest in groups of atleast 2-3. I want to get the smaller ones, possibly a Panda?? I only intend to get probably 2 more guppies, to make a total of 5, and then cories. Anyone know if 3 cories would be too many, cause that's how many I'd like to get.

Also, I've heard conflicting thoughts on gravel vs. sand for cories. Right now, I have gravel in my tank. The kind commonly found in petstores. Is that going to be ok for the cories?

Sorry if I'm repeating questions already asked. Thanks for the advice.

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
3 cories should be fine. They do fine with gravel. Good luck.
-Brianna

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Pygmy corys would be better for your size tank, and you should get 3. Panda corys get bigger than pygmys, and they are very sensitive to water conditions, which are much harder to control in a smaller tank.

OP
R

ricksgups

Reaction score
I read that Pygmy cories are middle swimmers. So here's a dumb question...they still eat off the bottom right? When I get them I will (of course) not just feed them the "leftovers" but I would like to get some cories that will eat what the guppies don't catch, to lessen the missed food that starts to break down.

Also, are they pretty hardy? Being a beginner, I'm still learning and trying to avoid the "sensitive" fish.

wolfman21

Reaction score
Corys are very hardy fish. the bottom feeders will do a better job at cleaning up the food scraps and making the tank cleaner, but if you make sure you feed right, then the middle feeders should be fine. Gravel for a substrate should be fine, sand does have more surface area and is lighter on the fish, but they do fine with gravel, as long as it is small enough, which yours sounds like it is. As for the schools, they should do fine in larger schools. I have 4 and they are great together. Good luck-guppies and corys are an excellent combo.

New Threads