How Many Cordy Catfish For A Single Species 10 Gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Pepper203, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Pepper203New MemberMember

I'm currently cycling a fishless 10 gallon tank and am looking to stock it with just cordy catfish but i was wonder which was the best breed and how many would work in a 10 gallon since i know that is on the small side. Also how many at once when stocking since i know they are pack swimmers and i wasnt sure if getting one at a time would be okay? Thanks for the help

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Hasbrosus corys stay under an inch. A 10 is pushing it but if any cory will work in a 10 it would be those.

Asian stone catfish, on the other hand... are way smaller.

EDIT: 6-8 hasbrosus would probably be OK. You could do probably 10-12 Asian stone cats.

3. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I recommend the pygmy species of cory (not cordy) catfish, like habrosus, pygmaeus, and hastatus. 10-15 is a good number.

4. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

A 20 gallon or larger would be best even for the pygmy cories. As theyare less hardy, and should be in a larger school. But that is your best option if your gonna do it. Like others have suggested , Stone catfish are great, have you looked into them? They would be a better fit in your tank. Or Sand substrate and Kuhlie Loaches would be fun!

5. JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

I'm not much help on pygmy corys of any kind.

Asian stone catfish, I'd probably only do 6 according to my own research. Who wants a tank of just those though.

Kuhli loaches, I just wonder if you could fit enough to encourage nice activity levels since they're so shy.

6. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

I dont think a 10 gallon could support the proper group size needed for kuhli loaches. Needing 6+, o personally feel 20 to be the bare minimum, being much more comfortable with a 29 gallon. The footprint of the tank is much more important.

7. Pepper203New MemberMember

So any good recommendation I was actually at one point looking at Shell dwellers would you guys recommend that? I know they are they only type that would fit in a 10 gallon. Would do a pair

8. corbinValued MemberMember

Habrosus cories would be the only ones I would try. They are really quite cute. They are active outgoing and fun to watch. They stay under an inch. You could probably start with 6 maybe add 1 or two more if it doesn’t look crowded. As other people have stated they can be delicate so make sure your tank is fully cycled and stable before bringing them home. I would not reccomend the Pygmy cories as they really need larger groups to feel secure. I had a group of 5 once and all they did was hide.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  9. guppgirlValued MemberMember

I would not do corys in a 10 gallon. I have 3 in my 20 gallon and desperately wish I could get a bigger tank so I could have more. My favorite stocking in a 10 gallon is either 4-5 male guppies, and either 10 neocaridina shrimp or 5 nerite snails, or a betta and snails.

10. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Yes, shell dwellers could work, reserch them.