How Many Cordy Catfish For A Single Species 10 Gallon

Pepper203

Reaction score
I'm currently cycling a fishless 10 gallon tank and am looking to stock it with just cordy catfish but i was wonder which was the best breed and how many would work in a 10 gallon since i know that is on the small side. Also how many at once when stocking since i know they are pack swimmers and i wasnt sure if getting one at a time would be okay? Thanks for the help

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I'm currently cycling a fishless 10 gallon tank and am looking to stock it with just cordy catfish but i was wonder which was the best breed and how many would work in a 10 gallon since i know that is on the small side. Also how many at once when stocking since i know they are pack swimmers and i wasnt sure if getting one at a time would be okay? Thanks for the help
Hasbrosus corys stay under an inch. A 10 is pushing it but if any cory will work in a 10 it would be those.

Asian stone catfish, on the other hand... are way smaller.

EDIT: 6-8 hasbrosus would probably be OK. You could do probably 10-12 Asian stone cats.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recommend the pygmy species of cory (not cordy) catfish, like habrosus, pygmaeus, and hastatus. 10-15 is a good number.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 20 gallon or larger would be best even for the pygmy cories. As theyare less hardy, and should be in a larger school. But that is your best option if your gonna do it. Like others have suggested , Stone catfish are great, have you looked into them? They would be a better fit in your tank. Or Sand substrate and Kuhlie Loaches would be fun!

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not much help on pygmy corys of any kind.

Asian stone catfish, I'd probably only do 6 according to my own research. Who wants a tank of just those though.

Kuhli loaches, I just wonder if you could fit enough to encourage nice activity levels since they're so shy.

AngryRainbow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I dont think a 10 gallon could support the proper group size needed for kuhli loaches. Needing 6+, o personally feel 20 to be the bare minimum, being much more comfortable with a 29 gallon. The footprint of the tank is much more important.

OP
Pepper203

Pepper203

Reaction score
So any good recommendation I was actually at one point looking at Shell dwellers would you guys recommend that? I know they are they only type that would fit in a 10 gallon. Would do a pair

corbin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Habrosus cories would be the only ones I would try. They are really quite cute. They are active outgoing and fun to watch. They stay under an inch. You could probably start with 6 maybe add 1 or two more if it doesn’t look crowded. As other people have stated they can be delicate so make sure your tank is fully cycled and stable before bringing them home. I would not reccomend the Pygmy cories as they really need larger groups to feel secure. I had a group of 5 once and all they did was hide.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom