How Many Chocolate Gourami In 50 Liter Tank?

George Guiney
So I want to keep some chocolate gouramai. I have a 50ltr tank, I could upgrade to a 100 ltr but I would rather not if possible. How many should I keep, what food should I feed and what plants should I grow?

aced it
I wouldn't recommend a chocolate gourami for either of those tank sizes. You could do a trio of honey gouramis or a dwarf gourami in the 50 L you have now. They are very pretty, hardy and have similar body shapes to the chocolate gourami. They would be a great alternative if you really want a gourami.

chromedome52
Let's start with what kind of water you need. Black water, extremely soft, under 4 DH, and extremely acid, like 5.0 pH. Temperature range is between 24-27C, I usually kept them at the upper end of this range. No plants live in this kind of water, so what you would be looking at is leaf litter on the bottom, with perhaps a bit of driftwood, though I have used floating Water Sprite. They need very small foods even as adults, and if you really want them to thrive, live foods like baby brine shrimp, mosquito larvae, or Daphnia. They will also pick at microorganisms on the leaf litter.

The tank size of 50l would be big enough for a single pair, as they don't get much over 2 inches (6cm). Depending on the dimensions, 100l could probably hold 4-5 fish (2m, 2-3f).

This is a very delicate species, and even very experienced aquarists can have difficulty just keeping them. The other gouramis recommended by aced it would be a better option for those not so experienced.

George Guiney
Let's start with what kind of water you need. Black water, extremely soft, under 4 DH, and extremely acid, like 5.0 pH. Temperature range is between 24-27C, I usually kept them at the upper end of this range. No plants live in this kind of water, so what you would be looking at is leaf litter on the bottom, with perhaps a bit of driftwood, though I have used floating Water Sprite. They need very small foods even as adults, and if you really want them to thrive, live foods like baby brine shrimp, mosquito larvae, or Daphnia. They will also pick at microorganisms on the leaf litter.

The tank size of 50l would be big enough for a single pair, as they don't get much over 2 inches (6cm). Depending on the dimensions, 100l could probably hold 4-5 fish (2m, 2-3f).

This is a very delicate species, and even very experienced aquarists can have difficulty just keeping them. The other gouramis recommended by aced it would be a better option for those not so experienced.
Okay, I could always upgrade to a 100ltr in the future. I've not kept any fish considered "difficult" to keep before, so would they be a good step up fish from beginners? I'll be very willing to provide the correct environment and food

aced it
I thought the minimum tank size for chocolate gouramis was 30 gallons(about 115 liters)? I definitely could be wrong, I'm just going off of what I've seen online. I do agree that they are a very challenging fish. They'd take a lot more matinence and special care than beginner fish, but if you feel confident in your abilities and have the time and resources to care properly for them, there's no reason not to. Gouramis are very beautiful fish, and you can't go wrong with any of your choices

chromedome52
No, Chocolates are a step up fish from "Advanced" to Expert". A step up gourami from beginner would be something like Croaking, Sparkling, or one of the Spiketail Paradisefish.

George Guiney
No, Chocolates are a step up fish from "Advanced" to Expert". A step up gourami from beginner would be something like Croaking, Sparkling, or one of the Spiketail Paradisefish.
Well I would consider myself fairly good at maintenance, disease treatment, etc. I've had to deal with a few diseases because the shop I used to buy from had terrible water conditions. I think I'm up for the challenge.

George Guiney
I thought the minimum tank size for chocolate gouramis was 30 gallons(about 115 liters)? I definitely could be wrong, I'm just going off of what I've seen online. I do agree that they are a very challenging fish. They'd take a lot more matinence and special care than beginner fish, but if you feel confident in your abilities and have the time and resources to care properly for them, there's no reason not to. Gouramis are very beautiful fish, and you can't go wrong with any of your choices
I think that's for a large group

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Francine
  • Question
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22