How many cardinal tetras

OP
Mii

Mii

How about 8 cardinal tetras and one neon just because i can. (They're the same genus, look and behave very similar, and there are multiple documented cases of them schooling together, so the neon won't be lonely, it would just make for a fun scavenger hunt among the cardinals)

MacZ

Well Known
Mii said:
How about 8 cardinal tetras and one neon just because i can. (They're the same genus, look and behave very similar, and there are multiple documented cases of them schooling together, so the neon won't be lonely, it would just make for a fun scavenger hunt among the cardinals)
Sorry to say so, but: NO. Please, don't mix them, and especially not with just one of one of the two species.

OP
Mii

Mii

MacZ said:
Sorry to say so, but: NO. Please, don't mix them, and especially not with just one of one of the two species.
Ok I won't mix them

OP
Mii

Mii

Think I'll just get 8 cardinals. Then maybe up it to 10 if my nitrates are low

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Mii said:
Think I'll just get 8 cardinals. Then maybe up it to 10 if my nitrates are low
They get to 2" unlike the 1-1.5" that neons get (the ones in my 55g are big). Don't add them all at once, start with 3 and then add another 3 the next week etc.
Do you have a quarantine tank?

OP
Mii

Mii

Ghelfaire said:
They get to 2" unlike the 1-1.5" that neons get (the ones in my 55g are big). Don't add them all at once, start with 3 and then add another 3 the next week etc.
Do you have a quarantine tank?
In the initial post i said that i have corys in quarantine. Using that i formation i want you to tell me weather or not i have a quarantine tank (or i guess technically it's a 10 gallon plastic tub with a filter and heater in it

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Mii said:
In the initial post i said that i have corys in quarantine. Using that i formation i want you to tell me weather or not i have a quarantine tank (or i guess technically it's a 10 gallon plastic tub with a filter and heater in it
It's like 6am here, dont be a jerk. I'm just saying dont add too many cardinals because they get bigger than neons.

OP
Mii

Mii

Ghelfaire said:
It's like 6am here, dont be a jerk. I'm just saying dont add too many cardinals because they get bigger than neons.
I wasn't being a jerk. Imo jumping to conclusions and calling a jerk sounds like something a jerk would do. I was just stating the obvious.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Mii said:
AKA, "yes":meh:

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Mii said:
I wasn't being a jerk. Imo jumping to conclusions and calling a jerk sounds like something a jerk would do. I was just stating the obvious.
Fine. Overstock your tank with 10 cardinals.

OP
Mii

Mii

Ghelfaire said:
Fine. Overstock your tank with 10 cardinals.
How many cardinals i get is besides the point your still being a jerk. You're the one who came in here, didn't even bother to read the whole thing before replying, and calls me a jerk for pointing out that the answer to your question was in the initial post.

Level99Fishing

Hey OP it's up to you how many cardinals you get. My recommendation is no more than 10 so 8 is also fine. In my experience though, you can just add all of them at once even if your tank is uncycled. The reason I say this is because your tank will be heavily planted with weekly water changes. There will be absolutely no problems at all.

Fisch

Mii said:
I had one Cardinal leftover from an online purchase, there was no schooling with the Neons. I would give the Neon to the LFS or find a local taker.

OP
Mii

Mii

Fisch said:
I had one Cardinal leftover from an online purchase, there was no schooling with the Neons. I would give the Neon to the LFS or find a local taker.
As i already said in a reply to another post i won't do any neons

Level99Fishing

I too have a lone neon. All his other pals had white growths, he is the only healthy specimen. He's been alone now for about half a year and now always schools with my rummynose. Personal experiences may vary though.

However, I don't think handing him back to the LFS is a good idea. They'll most likely just throw him out.

redmare

Well Known
So this has been a high-strung thread! I want to start off by reminding everybody here that we are all just hobbyists helping each other and doing our best. Nobody is here to be a jerk, we are just a bunch of fish nerds enjoying our hobby together :)
Now more to the point, I don't think adding 10 cardinal tetras at once is a bad thing at all in an already cycled tank. Besides, bioload has very little to do with actual number of fish and everything to do with how much food is being put in the whole tank. So if you feed lightly at first, the same amount you are already feeding, and then slowly increase it so everyone is getting plenty, your BB will have no troubles keeping up. I personally also think you could do more than 10 in your 20 gallon. Not everyone will agree with this, but if you've got good filtration, live plants, monitor water quality, and keep up on water changes, typical stocking estimates given here are way understocked for my liking. If I were making that tank, I would probably do at least 15 cardinals, maybe 20. A big group of cardinals in a planted tank is one of my favourite looks ever!

OP
Mii

Mii

redmare said:
So this has been a high-strung thread! I want to start off by reminding everybody here that we are all just hobbyists helping each other and doing our best. Nobody is here to be a jerk, we are just a bunch of fish nerds enjoying our hobby together :)
Now more to the point, I don't think adding 10 cardinal tetras at once is a bad thing at all in an already cycled tank. Besides, bioload has very little to do with actual number of fish and everything to do with how much food is being put in the whole tank. So if you feed lightly at first, the same amount you are already feeding, and then slowly increase it so everyone is getting plenty, your BB will have no troubles keeping up. I personally also think you could do more than 10 in your 20 gallon. Not everyone will agree with this, but if you've got good filtration, live plants, monitor water quality, and keep up on water changes, typical stocking estimates given here are way understocked for my liking. If I were making that tank, I would probably do at least 15 cardinals, maybe 20. A big group of cardinals in a planted tank is one of my favourite looks ever!
Ill do 10 and then get more if my nitrates are still nice and low.

redmare

Well Known
Mii said:
Ill do 10 and then get more if my nitrates are still nice and low.
That sounds like a good plan! I'm sure this is already in your plan, but of course make sure you give them a good quarantine period- cardinals can be fairly susceptible to illness. I'd love to see photos of your tank once it's all full of them!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom