How Many Cardinal Tetras In 15 Gallon Tank?

andy305mia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello, I was planning on 10 CT. Nothing else will be in the tank, I have plenty of filtration, just looking for a good number. I don't like to add fish later, because they can introduce disease. So I was thinking more is better, and if I do have any deaths, I can still have a good amount of fish. Thoughts? Thanks

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
15 gallons seems on the small side for swimming room but 10 CT sounds very reasonable. I might have tried 15 personally.

Look out for whitespot, finrot and Columnaris on the newly purchased fish which will be stressed due to the move to a new environment and possibly different water conditions.

If the filters are used to dealing with this kind of fish population already that would be a big help. Filters that have yet to mature cause significant stress on the fish as they cannot deal with all the ammonia released by the fish.

andy305mia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
15 gallons seems on the small side for swimming room but 10 CT sounds very reasonable. I might have tried 15 personally.

Look out for whitespot, finrot and Columnaris on the newly purchased fish which will be stressed due to the move to a new environment and possibly different water conditions.

If the filters are used to dealing with this kind of fish population already that would be a big help. Filters that have yet to mature cause significant stress on the fish as they cannot deal with all the ammonia released by the fish.
I have had both filters up and running for about 3 moths now. Not sure if that's mature enough, but everything I've kept in there so far has lived. I have a male betta in there now, he's not going to be happy when I move him to his soon to be new 5 gallon home.

andy305mia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have had both filters up and running for about 3 moths now. Not sure if that's mature enough, but everything I've kept in there so far has lived. I have a male betta in there now, he's not going to be happy when I move him to his soon to be new 5 gallon home.
Ok I understand what you're saying now, maybe I should start with 5 and add the other half later...I can also get all 10 and just do water changes with prime every 24 hours for a week or so

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would add all 10 and test the parameters daily for a week or so and then do WC's as needed. You may need to do a couple but i'de just check the parameters beforehand

andy305mia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I went with 12, I picked them up 4 for $10. They are super tiny tho, but it's ok. Thanks to all!

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 25 67.6%

Top Bottom