30 Gallon Tank how many can i put in?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have a 30 gallon tank (empty ATM) and i really like the gourami i got from my uncle and was thinking about getting more. so i was wondering how many, and what kind, of gouramis could go in to it, and what that breed would need to happy. mixing breeds would be ok also. and if i had to i would get all females.

this is just idea i had for what to do with the tank. the other idea i have is a salt water set-up. if u have some info on SW or wunna give some input on that, heres the link to the thread~

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/saltwater-beginners/71079-30-gallon-sw-tank-info-needed-lots-questions-n00b.html

thanks!

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am going to assume that you are talking about your Blue gourami when I answer this.
The blue gourami tends to be one of the more aggresive gouramis and I would only recommend getting one or two females (provided yours is a male).
They like tall plants, preferably real ones. Keep them with similar sized peaceful tank mates, and make sure the mates are not fin nippers.
I don't have experience with SW but I think 30 is a little small and I would recommend FW, but I am always a freshy type of guy anyways ;D

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well i have is a blue female, but i was asking about any breed. i really like watching her (almost as much as i like watching the guppies XD) and i was just wanting to get some input about a gourami only tank, and if it would be possible for them all to get along, ect. i have all the stuff for my blue (except live plants, but i have tall silk plants, a cave and a tree stump that she shares with the catfish and rainbow shark). i am prepared to buy live plants and that fancy gravel for live plants for the 30 gallon, tho, if i go with a gourami-only tank

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not too sure about the gourami only tank I have heard of it being done, but gouramis tend to be somewhat aggressive with other gouramis. If it can be done I would recommend pearls and honey and maybe one dwarf gourami.
As for the plants it does not matter if you use real or fake, just as long as there is a lot if them. You can use which ever they both have advantages.
If you did do gourami only what would you do with the other fish in the tank?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not too sure about the gourami only tank I have heard of it being done, but gouramis tend to be somewhat aggressive with other gouramis. If it can be done I would recommend pearls and honey and maybe one dwarf gourami.
As for the plants it does not matter if you use real or fake, just as long as there is a lot if them. You can use which ever they both have advantages.
If you did do gourami only what would you do with the other fish in the tank?
righ tnow i have the gourami, catfish, rainbow shark and ditch fish in the 20 long. i would leave the gourami in the 20 and set-up the 30 and buy new gouramis for it. she's been moved around too much in the past couple of weeks, so i think she deserves to just stay in the 20g

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh ok sorry, I was not thinking right, I can now see you already had that info up
Well then I would go with what I suggested before and go with the honey, pearl and dwarf gourami; the moonlight and the sparkling gourami would probably also be alright. If you get 2-3 honey; 2-3 pearls; 1 dwarf; 1 moonlight; and 2-3 sparkling gouramis you would be fully stocked. If you left off the moonlight you could get 4 corys or some otos for the bottom.
Make sure the tank has lots of plant (real or fake) and has lots of caves, so they can hide from each other if there is any aggresion

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
righ tnow i have the gourami, catfish, rainbow shark and ditch fish in the 20 long. i would leave the gourami in the 20 and set-up the 30 and buy new gouramis for it. she's been moved around too much in the past couple of weeks, so i think she deserves to just stay in the 20g
What's a ditch fish?

Oh ok sorry, I was not thinking right, I can now see you already had that info up
Well then I would go with what I suggested before and go with the honey, pearl and dwarf gourami; the moonlight and the sparkling gourami would probably also be alright. If you get 2-3 honey; 2-3 pearls; 1 dwarf; 1 moonlight; and 2-3 sparkling gouramis you would be fully stocked. If you left off the moonlight you could get 4 corys or some otos for the bottom.
Make sure the tank has lots of plant (real or fake) and has lots of caves, so they can hide from each other if there is any aggresion
Sorry, but all those gouramis in a 30 gallon tank is a terrible idea. There is only so much surface space.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry, but all those gouramis in a 30 gallon tank is a terrible idea. There is only so much surface space.
Yeah I was wondering about that, but I have seen it done...Akari, change my recommendation to only having one maybe two types of gourami and then add other peacful fish that will not bother the gourami to it.

Thanks Jaysee for correcting me! ;D

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think a pearl or moonlight, a DG and several sparkling gouramis would work.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What's a ditch fish?
its kind of like a guppy, but less "Hey! Look at me!" and they dont nip and play fight and only have a few fry at a time.

NMfishman said:
2-3 honey; 2-3 pearls; 1 dwarf; 1 moonlight; and 2-3 sparkling gouramis you would be fully stocked. If you left off the moonlight you could get 4 corys or some otos for the bottom.
whats a moonlight? i've seen the others, but i've never heard of a moonlight (tho i am new to the gourami world, so that doesnt mean much XD).

also, i seem to have bad luck with ottos and corries. i gave up on ottos when all of mine commited suiced (in the filter intake and under decor...) and i gave up after my 1st try with corries when some Panda's (who i paid $15 for! T_T) brought Ich into my tank and almost killed my ADFs. i might try agoain with Pandas, but im still sad that they all died (my favorite going 1st T_T poor Ayame! i still think that was the only female i had tho lol)

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Last edited:

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Harequin rasboras, cherry barbs, upside-down catfish, zebra or yoyo loach and dwarf rainbowfish should all be great options. IME neon and glowlight tetras are not fin nippers and I have heard that rummynose tetras are not as well.
Pretty much any similar sized non-aggressive and non-fin-nipping fish should be fine with the gourami.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IME neon and glowlight tetras are not fin nippers and I have heard that rummynose tetras are not as well. be fine with the gourami.
its not fin nipping that im worried about, i just dont really like tetras that much

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
and can i mix Dwarfs? like a regular Dwarf and a Flame Dwarf?
I don't think the color of them makes a difference but not too sure on that, if you do have multiples (of what ever color) only have one male and be prepared to remove the other dwarfs if they don't get along.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think the color of them makes a difference but not too sure on that, if you do have multiples (of what ever color) only have one male and be prepared to remove the other dwarfs if they don't get along.
do u kno of any chain stores that sell different variations of dwarves, so that i could look at them and determine gender and temperment? i know PetCo sells regular Dwarves, but i wasnt really looking for anything and just happened to find them... and PetSmarts stupid website fails at life because it doesnt show the animals they sell and i kno my parents wont drive me out there unless we were going that way already =(

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i kno my parents wont drive me out there unless we were going that way already =(
I know how that is, it is 35 miles to go anywhere here

The petsmart here sells the different variations of the DG these include a solid blue, a blue with red stripes, and a solid red. common names for them include Blue, Neon Blue, Flame, and sunset DG

I think you know this but to sex them the males are more colorful than the females, which are a very dull color.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know how that is, it is 35 miles to go anywhere here

The petsmart here sells the different variations of the DG these include a solid blue, a blue with red stripes, and a solid red. common names for them include Blue, Neon Blue, Flame, and sunset DG

I think you know this but to sex them the males are more colorful than the females, which are a very dull color.
well its not that ours is far away, its just in a direction that we never go. its only about 10 minutes from us, but a very inconvieniently places 10 minutes... but if PetCo sells the regualr dwarves, u think they'll have other variations, then? they should, but u never kno lol

i know ^_^ as long as they're cute (and i have the stuff to care for them) i dont mind gender-variated colors.

also, if i do get a couple of these guys, and accidentally end up getting a male and female, what would i do with the fry? or would they even readily breed? could i do like i do with the guppies, and just let the nature take its course, or do i need to do something special? would any stores buy the fry?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Petco probably has the different DG variations, but I can't promise you that they have them.
I doubt they will breed, it is somewhat hard to get them to.
You actually want to make sure you do get a male and female. Don't get multiple males, they might fight.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Petco probably has the different DG variations, but I can't promise you that they have them.
I doubt they will breed, it is somewhat hard to get them to.
You actually want to make sure you do get a male and female. Don't get multiple males, they might fight.
well i was gunna aim at getting 2 females, but stuff happens some times

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom