Question how many can i put in my 55g

kindghost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
hey everyone. my tank is 4 ft long. i currently have 11 cichlids in there now along with one pleco. they been doing fine together for about 8 months now and i was wondering if i can add more or if i should add more and if so how many can i add?

1 blue hap- 5 in
3 yellow labs- 2-3 in
3 red zebras- 2-3 in
4 peacocks- 2-3 in
1 pleco- 3 in

i would like to add more peacocks b/c i really like the way they look. but some suggestions on what type of fish i should get would be nice. i'd like to get something diff than what i already have but if not i would get more peacocks.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is it a common pleco?

If so you are already pretty full on the bioload end of things, cause that pleco will get huge. and with huge plecos comes huge waste

I have a similar setup and have problems keeping my filter from getting clogged, so I would not recommend adding any more or if you are dead set on the idea maybe one more.

kindghost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yeh its a common pleco but i'm thinking about getting rid of him. what if i got rid of him would i be able to add more?

kindghost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
what size rating iare your filters (their GPH)
well i gave my pleco to my dad so i dont' have him anymore. my cichlids always harrassed him. and i prob won't add another one. before i add anymore fish i'm going to have 2 aquaclear 70's. i have one already and the other i'm using is a marineland. i also have a powerhead to help circulate water. the fish love it right now. my water is very clear. not really dead set on adding a bunch of fish, just wondering if i can add one or maybe two if i happen to see one i really really like. cuz i do check out the selection of cichlids every now and again when i stop by the fish store, since all the good fish shops aren't in my town.

On a separate note: Do you really have a JD in a 10 gallon aquarium?
and no i don't have the jd anymore. i don't even have that tank set up right now. i need to take that off my profile. my friend gave him to me cuz he was so mean. and i wasn't about to put him in my 55g with my africans...lol. i ended up giving him back to petsmart.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am no African Cichlid expert but I set up a 55 gallon tank recently. I went to Something Fishy in Cleveland Ohio. The owner posted on fishlore once. His name is Dave and I don't think he has been back on. Anyway... this guy is a breeder and really knows his stuff. He suggested about 25 (maybe it was 20) fish for my tank. It's common to overstock these fish because it keeps aggression down. My husband works in Cleveland so he would stop in every couple weeks and get me a few more. I ended up with 14 fish. The tank has an open top and so now I have 6. They either jumped or are so aggressive that there were no bodies left. The tank is kept covered now of course.

I'm still learning about my Africans but there are some fishlore members who can answer your questions way better than I can. I'd suggest changing the title of your thread to something more specific. Maybe "how many Africans Cichlids in a 55 gallon" that way the people that can help you will be more likely to read your thread.

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would suggest going ahead and getting rid of the pleco, they do have a huge bioload, and really need a bigger tank than a 55g. Once the pleco is gone, you can have a total of 15 malawi cichlids easy. Just watch the combos for aggression/interbreeding.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom