How Many Bronze Cories For A 29 Gallon?

whiterabbit3040

Hello! I have another thread over in the builds section on a new to me 29 gallon I've set up.
Currently I have my male Crowntail, Rufus and about 10 Mystery Snails. In my other 10 gallon are 7 Bronze Corydoras (which I plan to move over), another 10 Mystery Snails, and my male Veitail, Junior. Instead of dividing I think I'll let Junior just enjoy the 10.
This weekend I'm ordering a better light and one of those API test kits to get a better handle on the water parameters.
The question is how many Cories, Bronze or maybe Albino can live comfortably in the 29? I would like to go a little understocked.
Thanks!

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Just going by my own experience with my 29 Gallon, I’d say around 12 would be a good number for you. This is just a rough number though, so don’t be afraid to add or subtract from it.

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

Thank you so much! Do you think they would benefit from a bubbler? The 29 is just so deep compared to the 10. I want to attach one of the plants to the top of the big log for Rufus. It reaches up to about an inch from the top and I found him sleeping on it this morning.
Thanks!!!

LDan

whiterabbit3040 said:
Thank you so much! Do you think they would benefit from a bubbler? The 29 is just so deep compared to the 10. I want to attach one of the plants to the top of the big log for Rufus. It reaches up to about an inch from the top and I found him sleeping on it this morning.
Thanks!!!
My cories like to play in the bubbles, I don't think it can hurt

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

LDan said:
My cories like to play in the bubbles, I don't think it can hurt
Thanks, I figure it may help with creating a bit more surface disruption. I'm thinking either a normal one placed behind the tall side of the log or maybe one of those bubble rivers might be cool.

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

Deku-Cory said:
Just going by my own experience with my 29 Gallon, I’d say around 12 would be a good number for you. This is just a rough number though, so don’t be afraid to add or subtract from it.
Would I be able to have a school of Ember or Neon Tetras with a Cory shoal that size? I want to have a lot of Cories, but it would be nice to have some mid and top range movement.

LDan

whiterabbit3040 said:
Thanks, I figure it may help with creating a bit more surface disruption. I'm thinking either a normal one placed behind the tall side of the log or maybe one of those bubble rivers might be cool.
Those bubble rivers look so cute, I'd love to try one some day

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

20190730_182008.jpgI got the light today, seems a bit yellow. I'm thinking it might be tannins yet from the drifywood. The test kits should come tomorrow or maybe Thursday. So far so good though. Rufus is pretty happy. 20190730_181950.jpg

LDan

whiterabbit3040 said:
20190730_182008.jpgI got the light today, seems a bit yellow. I'm thinking it might be tannins yet from the drifywood. The test kits should come tomorrow or maybe Thursday. So far so good though. Rufus is pretty happy. 20190730_181950.jpg
Tell me you have a cat! If I put a towel on a tank to keep light out, my cat sits on it, so I put a stuffed animal on top Also, nice tank

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

LDan said:
Tell me you have a cat! If I put a towel on a tank to keep light out, my cat sits on it, so I put a stuffed animal on top Also, nice tank
I have four! Two are too old to care, but the younger two are shifty. :cat:

And thanks!

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

I got the API test kits for the GH and KH. After testing my tap results are 15 KH and 21 GH. I knew I had hard water but jeepers that seems like a lot. The 29 was better with 6 KH and 9 GH. I'm thinking the API Master kit should come tomorrow and I can test the rest then. So far so good I think. Hopefully I can move my seven Bronze Cories over soon. I'm still wondering if I can have a school of 12 Cories, Rufus, and maybe 10 or 12 Neon or Ember Tetras?
Thanks!

LDan

whiterabbit3040 said:
I got the API test kits for the GH and KH. After testing my tap results are 15 KH and 21 GH. I knew I had hard water but jeepers that seems like a lot. The 29 was better with 6 KH and 9 GH. I'm thinking the API Master kit should come tomorrow and I can test the rest then. So far so good I think. Hopefully I can move my seven Bronze Cories over soon. I'm still wondering if I can have a school of 12 Cories, Rufus, and maybe 10 or 12 Neon or Ember Tetras?
Thanks!
What kind of filtration do you have? If you have enough imho you should be fine...tetras are tiny and Rufus...is that a betta? Bettas don't have a big bioload. Check on aqadvisor, that's a good site to use to see different stocking options.

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

LDan said:
What kind of filtration do you have? If you have enough imho you should be fine...tetras are tiny and Rufus...is that a betta? Bettas don't have a big bioload. Check on aqadvisor, that's a good site to use to see different stocking options.
I have the whisper 10-30 gallon one that hangs off the back but is fully submerged. I got it after the same model that said it was for 5-10 gallons died in the 10 gallon that currently has the Cories and my other Betta, Junior. I have since read that I should ideally be filtering around 3x that amount. I have to admit, when I had the 10-30 gallon filter in the 10 the water was awesome. Still clear since the swap, but there is a difference. I will upgrade I'm thinking in a month or so. My husband is tolerant, but I don't want to push it.:chicken:

LDan

whiterabbit3040 said:
I have the whisper 10-30 gallon one that hangs off the back but is fully submerged. I got it after the same model that said it was for 5-10 gallons died in the 10 gallon that currently has the Cories and my other Betta, Junior. I have since read that I should ideally be filtering around 3x that amount. I have to admit, when I had the 10-30 gallon filter in the 10 the water was awesome. Still clear since the swap, but there is a difference. I will upgrade I'm thinking in a month or so. My husband is tolerant, but I don't want to push it.:chicken:
You could add a sponge filter, say, for a 20 gallon. Cheap! I over filter and I have sponges in every tank. Those and polyfill in either the hob or a box filter keeps the water super clear. A box filter is another cheap option, and you can fill it with whatever you like! I use ceramic rings, polyfill, and sponge.

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

LDan said:
You could add a sponge filter, say, for a 20 gallon. Cheap! I over filter and I have sponges in every tank. Those and polyfill in either the hob or a box filter keeps the water super clear. A box filter is another cheap option, and you can fill it with whatever you like! I use ceramic rings, polyfill, and sponge.
That makes sense. I could use the sponge for emergecies or quarantines down the road.. I do customize my media with a mesh bag of ceramic rock looking things and a piece of sponge. I like that they're easy to rinse off in my water change water and transfer to the new filter. Maybe I'll get the sponge first then upgrade the filter? Should I wait for the Tetras until then?
Thanks!

LDan

whiterabbit3040 said:
That makes sense. I could use the sponge for emergecies or quarantines down the road.. I do customize my media with a mesh bag of ceramic rock looking things and a piece of sponge. I like that they're easy to rinse off in my water change water and transfer to the new filter. Maybe I'll get the sponge first then upgrade the filter? Should I wait for the Tetras until then?
Thanks!
I would definitely upgrade the hob. 10 tetras, even though they're small, is a lot to add all at once. I would use the filter you have now, add the sponge, and add maybe 5 tetras? Then upgrade the hob, use your old media, and get the rest of the fish. That way your sponge will be starting to house bacteria. I over filter like a nut! I have a Tidal 35 plus a 20 gallon sponge on a 20 long, and a Tidal 75 plus a double sponge on a 40. More is always better!

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

LDan said:
I would definitely upgrade the hob. 10 tetras, even though they're small, is a lot to add all at once. I would use the filter you have now, add the sponge, and add maybe 5 tetras? Then upgrade the hob, use your old media, and get the rest of the fish. That way your sponge will be starting to house bacteria. I over filter like a nut! I have a Tidal 35 plus a 20 gallon sponge on a 20 long, and a Tidal 75 plus a double sponge on a 40. More is always better!
Nice! Now Just to be sure this is taking in to account my 7 Cories? I do want to bump the number up to 12 eventually. Is that feasable with the Tetras?
Thanks!

LDan

whiterabbit3040 said:
Nice! Now Just to be sure this is taking in to account my 7 Cories? I do want to bump the number up to 12 eventually. Is that feasable with the Tetras?
Thanks!
Oh, I thought you already had 12 cories! So 7 cats plus 5 tetras and 1 betta? I think that'll be good. Old filter plus 20 gal sponge, then add the 5 tetras. Wait a month, get new filter, keep the sponge, add the rest of the tetras. Then whenever you get more cories, all your filters should be settled with the current stock. Be sure to test frequently after each addition of fish and have some Prime on hand, and maybe some Stability. Sounds like it's gonna be a great tank! You doing live plants as well?

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

LDan said:
Oh, I thought you already had 12 cories! So 7 cats plus 5 tetras and 1 betta? I think that'll be good. Old filter plus 20 gal sponge, then add the 5 tetras. Wait a month, get new filter, keep the sponge, add the rest of the tetras. Then whenever you get more cories, all your filters should be settled with the current stock. Be sure to test frequently after each addition of fish and have some Prime on hand, and maybe some Stability. Sounds like it's gonna be a great tank! You doing live plants as well?
Yes! I have several varieties of Anubias, some Marimo balls, and Java Fern.
For conditioner I've just been using the Tetra Betta safe that you get at Walmart. It is a dechlorinizer with a stress coat. Is that okay, or is there something Prime does beyond that?
Thanks!

LDan

whiterabbit3040 said:
Yes! I have several varieties of Anubias, some Marimo balls, and Java Fern.
For conditioner I've just been using the Tetra Betta safe that you get at Walmart. It is a dechlorinizer with a stress coat. Is that okay, or is there something Prime does beyond that?
Thanks!
Bettas safe sounds ok, I've never used it but if it works for you then keep on using it.

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

LDan said:
Bettas safe sounds ok, I've never used it but if it works for you then keep on using it.
Good to hear. I bought an air pump set up. The sponge filter should come Monday. I quick set it up tonight to see what the air stone does. Rufus has been going over to check it out! The API kit came,1564713768615-309926220.jpg 1564713848499663483770.jpg but I haven't had a chance to properly use it. Here's a couple of phone camera shots.

CHJ

Well Known
The number depends on your filtration as well as other waste producers.
My 10 gal "Bronze machine" has a substrate that was corydoras, so I took 30 ~1.5" bronzes to the LFS. Now I can see the substrate is actually black sand.
There are still 30? 40? Mostly young <1" bronze in there. I have no idea how many as however many are in there today there will be more tomorrow. The tank is only bronze cories (Wait, there are 5 other cories who are not happy with the bronzes trampling them. I plan to give these to a guy in town). The HOB on the tank is for a 55gal tank. Half the tank is full of java moss. There are other plants in there.
I need to find a place to build out a rack so I can have a equis machine, green laser machine, duplicarius machine, etc.

Elkwatcher

Well Known
whiterabbit3040 said:
Would I be able to have a school of Ember or Neon Tetras with a Cory shoal that size? I want to have a lot of Cories, but it would be nice to have some mid and top range movement.
I don't see why not.. the embers would be fine with the Cory's, just plant up your tank as Embers look gorgeous against green! If you have a "nice" Betta I think the small fish will be ok as they swim faster and hide in plants if they need to, maybe just monitor for a while. I currently have a school of 12 in a 10 gallon with Amano and Cherry Shrimp. They make the tank come to life!

CHJ

Well Known
Oh and keep in mind a "foam filter for emergencies" only works if you keep it in a tank and cycled.
If you are absolutely desperate you could take a dry one, fill a bowl with water and rinse out a prefilter (or your floss from a HOB) in it, then soak the foam filter in there to try to establish bacteria.

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

CHJ said:
The number depends on your filtration as well as other waste producers.
My 10 gal "Bronze machine" has a substrate that was corydoras, so I took 30 ~1.5" bronzes to the LFS. Now I can see the substrate is actually black sand.
There are still 30? 40? Mostly young <1" bronze in there. I have no idea how many as however many are in there today there will be more tomorrow. The tank is only bronze cories (Wait, there are 5 other cories who are not happy with the bronzes trampling them. I plan to give these to a guy in town). The HOB on the tank is for a 55gal tank. Half the tank is full of java moss. There are other plants in there.
I need to find a place to build out a rack so I can have a equis machine, green laser machine, duplicarius machine, etc.
I have a 10-30 gallon filter and the sponge filter coming Monday is a 41/2". The air pump I got last night is for 20 to 60 gallons. I now know I do need to get a bigger HOB and will. I do plan to keep running the sponge. Will that be okay for at least the 7 Cories, snails, and Rufus?
Thanks!

CHJ

Well Known
I'm not sure what a rufus is but I wouldn't sweat it with that bio load. Snails can throw out some waste, are your mystery snails small or huge? Are they heavily fed or do they have to make due with algae they find?
If you have a 29 with a 10-30 gal foam, I'd go bigger (but I love to over filter). They all seem in my experience to be the same so get the biggest cheapest you can off Amazon. Also keep in mind that many (all?) of the Amazon foams can be stacked into super foams with only your water depth deciding how big you build them. Just make sure the air comes out at the bottom so the bubbles travel all the way to the top of the foam. I was running 2 4.5" wide foams in my 20 breeder until I had to throw 1 in the grow out tub (tank is also HOB'd when no breeding is taking place and the young will not get pulled through the prefilter).
A sand bottom helps (surface area supports bacteria). While I love how Ecocomplete grows plants all my future tanks will be sand unless I go back into cichlids (or other diggers) large enough to need river rock (or just fail to care if the tank is always getting torn up).

OP
whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040

20190803_200342.jpg 20190803_200327.jpg 20190803_200308.jpg I tested the water in the 29 last night and my ammonia was between 0 and .25, the nitrites were at 0, and the nitrates were at 5. Today I did a 40% water change and moved the Anubias forest over to the 29. I then hand caught the Cories and floated them in the 29 for one hour and 45 min. I added a turkey baster full of the new tank water at 15 minute intervals.
So far so good! I need to tie the forrest back on the rock, and the water needs to settle a little yet. Everyone seems happy!
I put an Indian Almond leaf in the 10 with Junior. I'll be near a Petco next Saturday and I think maybe I'll get a more appropriate tank buddy for Junior in the 10, although I did move 7 of the Mystery snails over. I'm debating on if I should add anything else to the 29 or give it more time. The only downside is that the closest pet store is about an hour away. If I do add anymore Cories I would like to stay with Bronze and let them have a chance to have a big school. Oh, and for the record Rufus and Junior are Bettas.