How Many Bronze Cories For A 29 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by whiterabbit3040, Jul 24, 2019.

1. whiterabbit3040

whiterabbit3040New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello! I have another thread over in the builds section on a new to me 29 gallon I've set up.
    Currently I have my male Crowntail, Rufus and about 10 Mystery Snails. In my other 10 gallon are 7 Bronze Corydoras (which I plan to move over), another 10 Mystery Snails, and my male Veitail, Junior. Instead of dividing I think I'll let Junior just enjoy the 10.
    This weekend I'm ordering a better light and one of those API test kits to get a better handle on the water parameters.
    The question is how many Cories, Bronze or maybe Albino can live comfortably in the 29? I would like to go a little understocked.
    Thanks!

2. Deku-Cory

Deku-CoryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +214
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Just going by my own experience with my 29 Gallon, I’d say around 12 would be a good number for you. This is just a rough number though, so don’t be afraid to add or subtract from it.

3. OP
    OP
    whiterabbit3040

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thank you so much! Do you think they would benefit from a bubbler? The 29 is just so deep compared to the 10. I want to attach one of the plants to the top of the big log for Rufus. It reaches up to about an inch from the top and I found him sleeping on it this morning.
    Thanks!!!

4. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    My cories like to play in the bubbles, I don't think it can hurt

5. OP
    OP
    whiterabbit3040

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thanks, I figure it may help with creating a bit more surface disruption. I'm thinking either a normal one placed behind the tall side of the log or maybe one of those bubble rivers might be cool.

6. OP
    OP
    whiterabbit3040

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Would I be able to have a school of Ember or Neon Tetras with a Cory shoal that size? I want to have a lot of Cories, but it would be nice to have some mid and top range movement.

7. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    Those bubble rivers look so cute, I'd love to try one some day

8. OP
    OP
    whiterabbit3040

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    20190730_182008. I got the light today, seems a bit yellow. I'm thinking it might be tannins yet from the drifywood. The test kits should come tomorrow or maybe Thursday. So far so good though. Rufus is pretty happy. 20190730_181950.

9. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    Tell me you have a cat! If I put a towel on a tank to keep light out, my cat sits on it, so I put a stuffed animal on top Also, nice tank

10. OP
    OP
    whiterabbit3040

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have four! Two are too old to care, but the younger two are shifty. :cat:

And thanks!

11. OP
    OP
    whiterabbit3040

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I got the API test kits for the GH and KH. After testing my tap results are 15 KH and 21 GH. I knew I had hard water but jeepers that seems like a lot. The 29 was better with 6 KH and 9 GH. I'm thinking the API Master kit should come tomorrow and I can test the rest then. So far so good I think. Hopefully I can move my seven Bronze Cories over soon. I'm still wondering if I can have a school of 12 Cories, Rufus, and maybe 10 or 12 Neon or Ember Tetras?
    Thanks!

12. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    What kind of filtration do you have? If you have enough imho you should be fine...tetras are tiny and Rufus...is that a betta? Bettas don't have a big bioload. Check on aqadvisor, that's a good site to use to see different stocking options.

13. OP
    OP
    whiterabbit3040

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have the whisper 10-30 gallon one that hangs off the back but is fully submerged. I got it after the same model that said it was for 5-10 gallons died in the 10 gallon that currently has the Cories and my other Betta, Junior. I have since read that I should ideally be filtering around 3x that amount. I have to admit, when I had the 10-30 gallon filter in the 10 the water was awesome. Still clear since the swap, but there is a difference. I will upgrade I'm thinking in a month or so. My husband is tolerant, but I don't want to push it.:chicken:

14. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    You could add a sponge filter, say, for a 20 gallon. Cheap! I over filter and I have sponges in every tank. Those and polyfill in either the hob or a box filter keeps the water super clear. A box filter is another cheap option, and you can fill it with whatever you like! I use ceramic rings, polyfill, and sponge.

15. OP
    OP
    whiterabbit3040

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That makes sense. I could use the sponge for emergecies or quarantines down the road.. I do customize my media with a mesh bag of ceramic rock looking things and a piece of sponge. I like that they're easy to rinse off in my water change water and transfer to the new filter. Maybe I'll get the sponge first then upgrade the filter? Should I wait for the Tetras until then?
    Thanks!

16. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    I would definitely upgrade the hob. 10 tetras, even though they're small, is a lot to add all at once. I would use the filter you have now, add the sponge, and add maybe 5 tetras? Then upgrade the hob, use your old media, and get the rest of the fish. That way your sponge will be starting to house bacteria. I over filter like a nut! I have a Tidal 35 plus a 20 gallon sponge on a 20 long, and a Tidal 75 plus a double sponge on a 40. More is always better!

17. OP
    OP
    whiterabbit3040

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Nice! Now Just to be sure this is taking in to account my 7 Cories? I do want to bump the number up to 12 eventually. Is that feasable with the Tetras?
    Thanks!

18. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    Oh, I thought you already had 12 cories! So 7 cats plus 5 tetras and 1 betta? I think that'll be good. Old filter plus 20 gal sponge, then add the 5 tetras. Wait a month, get new filter, keep the sponge, add the rest of the tetras. Then whenever you get more cories, all your filters should be settled with the current stock. Be sure to test frequently after each addition of fish and have some Prime on hand, and maybe some Stability. Sounds like it's gonna be a great tank! You doing live plants as well?

19. OP
    OP
    whiterabbit3040

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes! I have several varieties of Anubias, some Marimo balls, and Java Fern.
    For conditioner I've just been using the Tetra Betta safe that you get at Walmart. It is a dechlorinizer with a stress coat. Is that okay, or is there something Prime does beyond that?
    Thanks!

20. Charlie’s Dad

Charlie’s DadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +352
    Experience:
    2 years
    Very nice looking tank!!!!

Your ideas for stocking is very good also.....