How Many Bristlenose Plecos In A 240l Tank?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by XenoMarc, Apr 17, 2017.

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello.
    After cycling my tank with 9 neon tetras, I would like to buy an algae eater and I'm considering getting a bristlenose pleco.

Are they okay with neon tetras?
    How many should I get?
    Do they prefer to be solitary or the company of other BN plecos?

This is my tank:  

Thanks! :)

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

One should be enough. I think if you put anything more than that you'll have a pollution problem in the tank since they poop so much. Much like a diesel truck.

They are fine with most fish. I have neon tetras and a bristle nose (BN) there. The BN usually keeps to him self in the dark areas.

3. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

48x16x21 inches

Male or female? What is the layout of the tank? Definetly don't want to have a male and female or you will have tons of babies. Males are a bit territorial so you want to have a lot of territories such as caves, driftwood, pots, etc

4. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

If you want them for algae don't forget about Nerite Snails.

5. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

What type of plants do you have?

Bristlenose are known to destroy plants that have big thin leaves like amazon swords

I would go with 1 but you can do 2 but make sure they are all males or females.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would just get one. Don't forget that you should still feed them; algae should not be their sole diet. Veggies and quality dry food (like pellets and wafers) are good daily foods. And the BN pleco won't solve all of your algae problems. Get him because you like him, not because he'll be expected to clean all of the algae in your tank. I would try to figure out what's causing the algae and correct the issue, rather than just using a fish as a bandaid.

7. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

If you buy them a little older and can sex them, I'd get 2 females, unless you do want to breed them. I find them to be great algae eaters, and will take care of most of the algae problems.

8. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for tip :)
    I'd get snails but I'd also like kuhli loaches, and they eat snails

Thanks for tip :)
    I have quite a lot of anacharis and I have 2 anubias.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  9. TexasDomer

Kuhlis don't eat snails :) They're one of the few loaches that doesn't mess with them.

10. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Nerite snails are way too big for a kuhli's mouth anyway!! Not that they eat snails...

If you have algae issues, nerite snails will clean it up far better than plecos and they won't leave a poopy mess behind!!!!

Never ever get a pleco solely to clean algae!!! Like Texas said....if you like them....then get one! But a cleaning fish...they ARE NOT!

11. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for the tip! But I'd prefer a pleco than a snail, because IMO they look quite cool

12. bizaliz3

As long as you are not primarily getting one to clean algae, then go for it!!! They are very cool fish. They are just very VERY messy fish. And they require their own special care and diet....but too often they are sold as simply "algae eaters" and that DRIVES ME NUTS!! Lol

13. fissh

They do poop a lot, but they are very good algae eaters. In a tank your size with only 2of them you don't require special feeding, they will eat any extra flake that hits the bottom of tank. I bred BN plecos, and this is hands on experience.

Attached Files:

14. TexasDomer

You really should feed them their own diet, as your pictures show you doing. Not all of us overfeed, so extra food hitting the bottom wouldn't be enough for them to persist.

15. bizaliz3

I also breed bn plecos and I couldn't disagree more. They absolutely need their own special diet!!

And you did sort of contradict yourself in the photos since you are feeding them veggies! :)

16. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

So why are you feeding yours veggies if they don't require their own diet??

I also feel they need their own food, not made to live off the scraps that make it to the bottom and/or algae.

17. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Hey guys! Thanks for the help :)
    I'm wondering about pitbull plecos.
    Do they poop a lot?
    Will they do fine in my tank with 8 neon tetras?
    I've been told they require special care like more water agitation.

18. TexasDomer

Pitbull plecos are related to otos, and share similar care. They would be fine with neons, but you'd need to keep them in a group. They don't need fast currents.

19. fissh

When you have 20 to 50 plecos per tank, you have to feed them they're own diet! If I had a 63 gallon tank (240 liters) with 2 plecos I would not bother! They will get enough food just from the algae and food that hits the bottom! And no matter what you think, food does hit the bottom in most tanks! And that's my hands on opinion!

I've been breeding BN plecos for a little over 2 years and produced and sold over 5000 in that time. If you had 2 plecos and were not trying to get them in a breeding condition fresh veggies are not necessary. I have a goldfish tank that I use to hold my gold fish over the winter, it has a pair of chocolate plecos in it, the tank gets nothing but gold fish pellets and the plecos have bred 2 times in 4 months after being fed nothing but gold fish food leftovers and algae from the tank. So go figure?

20. bizaliz3

I firmly believe adult plecos deserve to be fed food they like and not have to survive solely on leftover scraps!

Breeding condition also means healthy and thriving..... why would that only be desirable if you want to breed them? Wouldn't you want them to be happy and healthy and thriving regardless if you wanted to breed them or not?

I don't understand your logic @fissh ....I'm sorry. I realize a pleco is fully capable of surviving off of scraps..... but me personally, I would rather my fish Thrive than simply survive!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice