Question How many bristle nose plecos in a 55 gallon!!

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’m wondering how many bristle nose plecos I can have in my 55 gallon? This tank also houses 7 female bettas, 5 mollies, 2 mystery snails and a nerite snail. I’m getting some Green algae growth on my tank glass and have always wanted a bristle nose pleco but didn’t have room in my previously smaller tank, but now that I have a 4foot 55 gallon tank I’m wondering how many would be a good number of bristle nose plecos, and also should I get female(s), male(s) or a mix of sexes?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’d get just one to start off with because they eat a ton of algae, I’d say go with a female because they are usually less territorial but it shouldn’t make too much of a difference :). they can’t live on just algae so you probably should feed it veggies at least twice a week and they need to be in a tank with driftwood to help them digest there food (I’m not sure exactly how it helps..) Other than those things it really isn’t hard to keep them alive once you give them good food and a good sized clean tank :).

OP
Ssnaaiil

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
jkkgron2 said:
I’d get just one to start off with because they eat a ton of algae, I’d say go with a female because they are usually less territorial but it shouldn’t make too much of a difference :). they can’t live on just algae so you probably should feed it veggies at least twice a week and they need to be in a tank with driftwood to help them digest there food (I’m not sure exactly how it helps..) Other than those things it really isn’t hard to keep them alive once you give them good food and a good sized clean tank :).
thank you for the info. I do put veggies in my tank a couple times a week and sinking pellets as I do have mystery snails, I also have a piece of driftwood already in my tank.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ssnaaiil said:
thank you for the info. I do put veggies in my tank a couple times a week and sinking pellets as I do have mystery snails, I also have a piece of driftwood already in my tank.
Then you should be all set! Oh and I just realized that you asked if you should put mixed sexes of Bn plecos in your tank, I wouldn’t but if you wanted to breed them then You could :).

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
jkkgron2 gave you some very good advice. I just wanted to add.....If you put both male and female you will end up with babies. You could go with 2 females and they should get along. I don't recommend you put 2 males in there though. They can get territorial.

I usually don't recommend them for algae control though. They are great cleaners while still babies but then they seem to get lazy about it. They are huge waste producers so be prepared to clean your filter media weekly.

I LOVE plecos. In fact I have 3 adults (one albino and 2 super reds) and approximately 50 8 month old fry right now so know how much waste they produce. That handsome fellow over there in my avatar is the poppa to all the little guys. Sadly none of them look like him or even like their mother but they are still adorable.

New Threads