How many Bolivian Rams?

PurpleReign19

I’m considering adding some Bolivian rams to my community tank. My 56 gal column tank currently has:
-Trio of pearl gourami
-9 harlequin rasbora
-9 neon tetra
-8 Corydoras
-1 molly
-1 platy
-7 Amano shrimp
-3 mystery snails
-4 nerite snails

Am I getting close to my stocking limit? Can I do 2-3 of the rams?
You are pretty heavily stocked but 2 should be ok if you keep up with water changes.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Hello,

I would do either 1 or 2 rams for your tank size.

Keep in mind rams are very strong individual, no two will behave exactly the same so sometimes they don’t follow the rules.

However, I have found in most cases even if you don’t end up with a pair 2 rams will get along as long as they have room to spend time apart when they want. I have found that if you have 3 in a tank one is likely to be bullied, even more so if you ended up with a pair and a third wheel.

I had 2 breeding pairs in my 75 gallon at one point, it went well for 8 months or so until the males reached full size and then one started to attack the other male badly, and harass his partner. So 4 likely won’t work because you’ll probably end up with at least 1 pair and the pair won’t appreciate the others.

Having 2 would probably be the most interesting as they are quite social but I have one on her own and she does just fine. If you really want to get a breeding pair, I would suggest you buy 4-6 young rams (about 1.5”-2”) and allow them to pair off. Once a pair forms and they lay eggs you can catch the remaining rams while the parents guard their eggs. They are much better at cohabitating when young but will still form breeding pairs around this time.

Again, each ram is different from the next so my advice may not apply to all but after owning 5 adults and raising their fry this is what I’ve generally observed to be true, but of course I still have lots to learn

Upvote 0

doughboy52

Hello,

I would do either 1 or 2 rams for your tank size.

Keep in mind rams are very strong individual, no two will behave exactly the same so sometimes they don’t follow the rules.

However, I have found in most cases even if you don’t end up with a pair 2 rams will get along as long as they have room to spend time apart when they want. I have found that if you have 3 in a tank one is likely to be bullied, even more so if you ended up with a pair and a third wheel.

I had 2 breeding pairs in my 75 gallon at one point, it went well for 8 months or so until the males reached full size and then one started to attack the other male badly, and harass his partner. So 4 likely won’t work because you’ll probably end up with at least 1 pair and the pair won’t appreciate the others.

Having 2 would probably be the most interesting as they are quite social but I have one on her own and she does just fine. If you really want to get a breeding pair, I would suggest you buy 4-6 young rams (about 1.5”-2”) and allow them to pair off. Once a pair forms and they lay eggs you can catch the remaining rams while the parents guard their eggs. They are much better at cohabitating when young but will still form breeding pairs around this time.

Again, each ram is different from the next so my advice may not apply to all but after owning 5 adults and raising their fry this is what I’ve generally observed to be true, but of course I still have lots to learn
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I ended up getting just one, both due to stocking concerns and I am not ready to deal with egg laying and potential fry. I believe it’s a female based on all the pictures I’ve looked at. Can’t wait to introduce her to the tank after quarantine

Upvote 0

PurpleReign19

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I ended up getting just one, both due to stocking concerns and I am not ready to deal with egg laying and potential fry. I believe it’s a female based on all the pictures I’ve looked at. Can’t wait to introduce her to the tank after quarantine
Can we see a picture! I love rams

Upvote 0

doughboy52

Can we see a picture! I love rams
Here you go! She (he? lol) definitely lost some some color and markings after transport. Excited to see her color up. They’re really cute fish.

Upvote 0

PurpleReign19

Here you go! She (he? lol) definitely lost some some color and markings after transport. Excited to see her color up. They’re really cute fish.
Aw so cute!

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Aww. Shes very cute! They are very cautious fish so she’ll probably not have too much colour for a while and she may sulk for a while again after being moved to the display tank. They definitely take some patience but once they’re settled they’re so beautiful and active

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coptapia
Replies
Views
toran
Replies
Views
Gourami36
  • Question