how many Black Banded Leporinus to get and tank size? Question 

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was looking at Black Banded Leporinus (Leporinus fasciatus) and it looks like some people keep this fish as a single and some have 2 or more. I was wondering what your experiences have been with this. I would like to keep no more than one or two, but can't decide which. Also would these guys be best in a 40 gal or a 55 gallon? the 40 gal will give them more surface area to swim around in but the 55 gallon will give them more vertical space. I would kinda prefer to do the 40 gal and I think that would suit them better as they get fairly long.

This is not for an existing tank I have setup. The 40 gal would measure 36"x18"x16" and the 55 gallon would be the standard size, 48"x12"x21"

So to sum it up should I have 1 or 2? Should I have them in a 40gal or a 55 gallon?

Thank you!

Mikey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One in the forty. Two in the 55. They get about 6 to 12 inches long. From what ive read they are peaceful, but do nibble fins from time to time.

v369

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they will out grow a 55......I had a trio in a 55 and they got too big to comfortably turn around.
you could start them in the 40 or 55 it would take a few years for them to get large...
I would go with a 75 or 90 just imo.

theydo like company but are also can be scale eaters.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look great but are too big and active. They would need a huge tank or be stunted.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom