How Many Bettas? Question

1. The_River_Daughter

The_River_Daughter New Member Member

a friend of mine wants to get into fish-keeping. She's thinking about a 10g, and wants to know how many female betta's will fit into one. I always kept my seprate, cuz both of mine have horrible tempers. how many bettas?

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Your friend can use a divider and separate 2 bettas in the 10 gal. giving them 5 gals each.

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Some people will keep several female bettas in a tank (it is refered to as a sorority tank), but the minimum recommend tank size would be a 20g long. But this is not something an inexperienced fish keeper should attempt. (Heck, I've been keeping fish for over 10 years this time around and I wouldn't attempt it.)

The odds of something going wrong are pretty high and you need to have a backup plan if you need to break up the sorority. So that means a bunch of small tanks ready to go.

4. OP
    OP
    The_River_Daughter

The_River_Daughter New Member Member

But she wants a female community tank. This may not be possible, cuz some female bettas have nasty tempers,

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I would say most female bettas have a nasty temper.

6. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Its recommended a 20 long to have any betta with other bettas or other fish. Even the peaceful ones that are in community tanks can and do have grumpy days. It gives everybody involved a little more room to get away from each other.

7. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

1 in a 10 gallon. If she divides it, split it in half and she can put 1 in each section as long as they cant see each other and jump the divider.

8. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnson Valued Member Member

I must have gotten lucky with my two! They are both very mellow and laid back

9. DuaneV

Id say youre either lucky or they havent been together long enough.

10. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Are they together?

11. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I must have been a female Betta in another life.:mad:

12. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

In a 10 G you can do 1 betta and some other fish.

Sorority tanks need to be 3 or more (2 girls runs the risk of one picking relentlessly on the other) and is best with more not less. For some weird reason I don't quite understand they do best in odd numbers (I had 7 in a 30G once).

They also need lots of line of sight breaks (Tall plants are great for this).

I think you could do 3 girls in a 15 long if it was well planted, possibly with some micro rasboras and shrimp or a snail.

13. wrs2

wrs2 Well Known Member Member

Just tell her it isn’t possible and give your friend the reasons why a 10 gallon isn’t enough space for females. Just give her the facts and hopefully that will change her mind.

Also you should have at least 5 females in a sorority not 3. That’s not enough to establish a real hierarchy.

She can get one female and put it in with community fish in a 10. Mine lives in a 10 with some endlers and they get on great!

14. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Just divide it into two, unless you want to take a chance of bettas dying....

15. kayla20johnson

Yes, along with other fish. And they get along quite swimmingly ;)

16. CanadianFishFan

what size of tank? Thats always such a risky move i dont suggest anyone make.

17. kayla20johnson

It’s a 55. And I did research on it and such. And I was sure to introduce them last, and as I said, they’re doing great. I knew it was iffy, so I had back ups ready just in case. But they’re thriving and are very mellow.

18. DuaneV

After having bettas for over 20 years and trying a sorority numerous times, I honestly believe anyone who has one and says its working is living off borrowed time. Ive never had them hold together for more than 6 months, and then all heck breaks loose.

19. CanadianFishFan

Oh ok, I still wouldn't suggest trying it but for that size of tank thats not that bad.

Im scared to try mine still, Just dealing with ripped fins and females getting into trouble dosent sound like fun dureing school days...

20. kayla20johnson

When I first put mine together, I watched them VERY closely. I think I sat in front of my tank just watching them, almost like TV, off and on for a probably a couple of hours for a couple of days straight. I also was sure to introduce them to the tank last so they didn’t think it was just their territory. If you don’t feel comfortable doing it, then I highly suggest you don’t. Especially if you don’t have back up tanks and aren’t prepared to hospitalize them for injuries. I will remind you, though, that when I put them together I was a complete amateur beginner fish hobbyist, and I thought the research I did was enough and did not really ask anyone who was experienced. You did the right thing by asking for advice! Keep us updated about what you decide.