How many Bettas in a 55 w/ my neons?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by austinthefishkeeper, Aug 8, 2015.

1. austinthefishkeeper

austinthefishkeeperNew MemberMember

I own a 55 gallon tank with 30+ neon tetra. I was wondering if I could put 2 or more bettas in the tank. Does gender matter? Because I heard 2 males will fight to the death. Would it be different with 2 females or 1 male and 1 female? Or maybe even 3 females 1 male? Thx!

2. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm sure some Betta keepers will come along and help with your questions. Betta aren't my thing.

3. MtnTiger

MtnTigerWell Known MemberMember

Well I'm no betta expert but I would not keep a male in any community tank. I do feel females would be ok.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!
    I wouldn't add the bettas to the tank. The betta will probably kill your neons. If I'm not mistaken, males and females should only be kept together when breeding. IMO, bettas aren't really for community tanks. They are best kept alone in their own tanks .

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Flowingfins

FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Bettas are not going to be a good fish for this tank. Bettas have long fins the tetras may nip at and a bad temper. If you really want a betta, I suggest a nice heated, filtered, 5 gallon. Males and females should not be kept together unless it's for breeding purposes. Females can be kept in a sorority(9+ females) but that should be left to the experts. Sororities usually fail due to the bettas fighting.

6. OP
    OP
    austinthefishkeeper

What if I get only one? But I also have a few hiding places. I have a cave, 2 logs, and a rock with some holes through it on the bottom of the tank.

7. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Nice to meet you! :)
    Bettas and neons are kind of iffy, the neons might nip the fins of the betta, or the betta might chase (and possibly kill) the neons.

Two males cannot be done due to aggression, a male and female should not be kept together long term either, only for breeding purposes should they be kept together, and even that's only for a very short amount of time.

Female bettas can be just as aggressive as males, but unlike males, they can sometimes be kept in sororities, which would require a large amount of females to spread out the aggression and backup tanks just in case.

Is your tank heavily planted?

Overall, there are better tankmates for a betta, but it could work, depending the betta and the neons. :)

8. OP
    OP
    austinthefishkeeper

Thank you! And no, it's not planted. :(
    I might get some in the future though...

9. BornThisWayBettas

Imo, being planted will give the fish a better chance of getting along, as it will give everyone a place to hide and obstruct the view of each other more. Since your neons are in such a large school, nipping could be less likely, again imo. My biggest concern would be the betta, you'll need a backup plan in case something goes wrong. Also, stay away from plakats, as I've heard they can be more aggressive. Do you have lots (and I mean lots) of hiding places for the fish?

10. BigBoom217

BigBoom217Valued MemberMember

Don't forget when you give Bettas especially double half moons or the others with large ornamental tails more swim space than they were ever bred for they will blow out their tails. You'll have a raggedy looking betta who is as happy as a lark blowing giant bubble nests

Sent from my E6782 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. OP
    OP
    austinthefishkeeper

For backup, I do have an unused 10 gallon sitting in my basment collecting dust. And I would say I have about 2-3 hiding places, the best being the pitch black cave. But I kinda want a betta or two in my 55. Overall, how many betta should I consider buying? And like what kind that won't be aggressive twords the neons and (hopefully) other bettas?

12. Danjamesdixon

DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

Why not opt for a more passive tankmate, like a Dwarf Gourami, or a Ram?

There are far better tankmates then a Betta for a tank like this. It will require a lot of work, and put your fish in unnecessary danger - for the sake of personal tastes, it's not exactly justifiable.

13. OP
    OP
    austinthefishkeeper

Cuz a betta just feels right in da tank :3
    Also, The neons look good in a tank, But I think a few bettas would make the tank look even better. Plus, they're one of my favorite fish. I have also heard that they're ok with neons and another betta aslong as the tank is big enough. :3

14. BornThisWayBettas

Bettas cannot be kept together unless it's females in a sorority or the tank is divided. The male bettas are so aggressive towards each other that they will fight, injure, and kill each other, so if you get one, you'd only want one. I might go with a veiltail betta, just because it's less fin to be nipped than the halfmoon, super deltas, and double tails, yet not usually as aggressive as the plakats. Mine was a veiltail, but he only lived with neons for a very short amount of time because the neons died shortly after I bought them.

15. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I wouldn't do any bettas in your tank, male or female, especially since you have no plant cover. They might seem ok for a while and then one day you'll wake up to a massacre. Why chance it? There are so many beautiful fish that would be better suited to your setup and wouldn't be likely to kill everyone some day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. AquaticBrandon

No I wouldn't do that. Neons and bettas don't really work well together. I get that you like bettas a lot, but you can get a small 5 gallon for a betta and it will live happily in there.

17. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Good luck, let us know how it goes. Just don't be surprised to find tank full of dead fish and you flushing your money down the drain.

Two bettas in one tank is a terrible idea. A sorority of female bettas can be difficult to maintain (need at least 6 I think).

Neons are bad idea, try cardinal tetras instead, they may be better match for betta, both in temperament and in temperature needs, IF you have plants, lots of plants in your tank.

18. OP
    OP
    austinthefishkeeper

In that case, I will only get one. Thanks too all the people that helped on this forum!

19. AquaticBrandon

IMO, a betta is best kept in it's own tank.

20. BornThisWayBettas

No problem! Good luck with your fish! :)