How many bags of rock for a 75 gall tank?

fishchick
HI all

About how many bags should I plan on getting for a 75 gall tank! I have totally cleaned out my 75 gall tank of mess ! Most of fish died and plan to clean it up again and restock asap! Also what is the best Ph test strip to use ? don't care for the mardel , have tried something that tested everything and can't remember the name ! I need that again!

Narcicius
oh boy, Umm all test strips aren't really that reliable, the apI master kit is what you're looking for, also do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

fishchick
Checked out the apI master kit , looks a little bit confusing for testing ! was little high for me , don't get to fish stores much ! What about the nitroggen cycle ?

Lucy
HI Fishchick,
Welcome to FishLore!
I can't answer your first question about the rocks. I think I've seen it posted on the forum somewhere. If I see it, I'll throw the link your way.

The API master kit can be expensive, but well worth it. It looks confusing, but it's really not, heck, if I can do it, you can!
This is the cheapest I've seen it:

There may be others here that can recommend a less expensive one. Stay away from the strips, they are not accurate.

Here is a link explaining the nitrogen cycle:
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Please consider doing a fish less cycle. It will be less work for you and healthier for your fish.

Good luck with your tank, if after reading, you have any questions, just ask, the forum is full of wonderful people willing to help.

Lucy
ah, sorry for back to back posting, but this may answer your gravel question:

COBettaCouple
Welcome to Fishlore.

Try online, like or at thatpetplace for getting the kit cheaper than at the stores. It really is the most accurate and pretty easy to learn how to test with.

Nags1965
wow I paid like 40 buks for my API kit. I see I paid to much... story of my life

Lucy
:-\ me too, nags

Angela_96
I got my API for about 23 at a local store, I thought it was a good deal after considering ordering as a 15 dollar special from fosters and smith + the 9.99 shipping. Its been worth it I have used that kit since Feb, every other day on my tanks. I'm sure I am going to need some refills soon but its been well worth the money. The strips were 10+ and you only get 30, and w/ 4 tanks at the time it wasn't a months worth, the API actually has paid for itself.

fishchick
still haven't gotten the rocks , ready to get them ! found some local store that has a great price ! 25 lb bag is 20 bucks or in that range. they also had a smaller bag for 5.99 or so ! but once I get it going ( if I ever do ) I plan to do a fishless cycle! want to get another angelfish , but not sure what I put with the angel and sucker that I have to get out from the other tank !

crabbyabby
If you want some rocks for your tank check out these guys. Real nice rocks...

MissMTS
Are you looking for gravel for the bottom of your tank? I believe the rule is 1-2 pounds of gravel per gallon of water.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Beachchica
Replies
Views
Cupcakevirgo
Replies
Views
Melissac584
Replies
Views