Question How many apistogramma borellii females together?

MiaK

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have 20 gallon long, if I decide, how many females only I can have?

OP
MiaK

MiaK

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't know yet, I just wonder if I can keep females only first

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
MiaK said:
I don't know yet, I just wonder if I can keep females only first
I would do at most 2 females.

Also I strongly encourage getting a male as well, as they will show amazing behaviour in courtship, spawning, rearing fry, and even normal interactions. Something you don't see in single sex groups.

Also, most female apistogramma are much less colorful, and they will often become more colorful in breeding mood. :)

OP
MiaK

MiaK

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well I have male with 1 female. I have 3 caves and male is still chasing my female a lot, if I would have another female or 2 is he going to calm down a little? I have 6 kuhli loaches with them

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
MiaK said:
Well I have male with 1 female. I have 3 caves and male is still chasing my female a lot, if I would have another female or 2 is he going to calm down a little? I have 6 kuhli loaches with them
I can't exactly say if they will calm down or not, but rearranging the tank often helps.

Are you sure that the female is truely a female, or a subdominant male?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Give it a month. It takes a while for them to come to an agreement. Both my apistogramma and kribs faught like cat and dogs for a month (with each other) before deciding it was time to build a nest together.

MiaK said:

OP
MiaK

MiaK

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FinalFins said:
Very beautiful apistos you have there, really makes me want to buy a couple of them. :)
Thank you! I really enjoy them! Male is very outgoing and not afraid of anything including net (I tried to catch black neon tetras and he kept swimming inside net) he keep coming to me every time I approach the tank. It's like betta :) female is more skittish, but I love them :)

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would put three females into a long 20 for this species. Female borellii often establish territories near one another, unlike many Apisto females. IME, they are more social than other species. They've even been observed combining two clouds of fry together. The male either needs a couple of girls to spread his attention, or one very well conditioned female. That means she needs to have the tank to herself for a few weeks to get fat.

New Threads