How many API bottom feeder shrimp pellet to feed per cory/loach

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by f2002, Jul 23, 2015.

1. f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

My fish loves API bottom feeder shrimp pellet. All the fish likes them. But I want to drop them at night so that my 7 false julii cories and 8 kuhli loaches will have a chance to eat them without the non-bottom dwellers competing for it.

My questions are:

1. How many pellets do I drop for the 7 false julii cories and 8 kuhli loaches? I currently put in 3. Most of my other fish food do not drop to the bottom so you can assume that this is the only food they will get.

2. Should I feed them daily? Currently I only feed the shrimp pellets 1-2 a week. The other times I put in fresh vegetables and algae wafers.

3. Should I dip it in garlic guard? If so, how long should I do this? Some people say the dipping makes the pellets lose nutrient, as the nutrient and vitamins are leaked out of the pellet. Is this true?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I don't know how big the pellets are but feeding them only a couple of times a week doesn't seem enough to me, especially for the corys as they won't be getting much nutrition from the veg or algae wafers as they need a meatier diet.
    I would feed them more often & crush the pellets so the other fish don't steal them all.

3. escapay

escapay Well Known Member Member

I agree with Coradee that 1-2 times a week isn't that much. At work I put 1 pellet per cory when I do the feeding for those - though I am often feeding them when lights are on so other fish might try and eat pellet. I would feed less than 1 pellet per cory though since you're feeding them at night and won't have to worry about the other fish for the most part.

The cories don't get that big, so if they are full size I'd probably do 1 pellet per 2-3. At minimum I would put in 5 pellets total for both the cories and kuhlis. You could start there and if they seem to need more, add a couple more.

I just offer them the shrimp pellets or other sinking pellets (right now at home I've been doing NLS pellets because my cichlid goes after the shrimp pellets I have for the Kuhlis). I've not offered my Kuhlis the veggie rounds before since I have the other pellets available.

4. OP
    OP
    f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

Thank you. That's a great point. It is hard to say without seeing how big the pellets are. Here's a video review that briefly show the size of the pellets (see 0:58 second mark):

[video=youtube;fAV6dsFVDY4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAV6dsFVDY4[/video]

Once in water the pellet expands a little bit, maybe 10-20% larger than its dry size. They seem hard to break off, so it takes the cory and kuhlis a long time to eat them. They just keep chipping away.

Thanks! I'll start doing that now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice