55 Gallon Tank How many angels

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I want angels in my new 55 gallon and was wondering how many you think is a good number. I do not want to breed them and would like some other peaceful fish with them. I was thinking 6 angels, but would like your opinion.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you get more than 1 angel, chances are you may end up with a pair. And if you end up with a pair, chances are they will breed. Whether you wanted them to or not. That's just how easy it is, especially if you get 6 angels, you'll have a couple of pairs trying.
I don't mean to discourage you, but it could most definitely cause a lot of problems. Especially if you leave them in the tank, they will beat up all the other fish.

I'm not sure how you can prevent them from breeding like that, but I'm sure somebody will come along and have an idea of how to keep them from breeding.
Determining sexes is very difficult with angels, especially since the only way to tell is when they are breeding. But you could try to get all females...I guess.
Not sure how that will work out.

Good luck!

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have always been told that 1 angel should have 20 gallons and 10 gallons for each additional. They get pretty large so I think 4 would be good in a 55 gallon. Six will get cramped once they start growing. I have a 120 gallon and many people who house angles have told me that 8 maybe 10 would be the max for that size to avoid aggression issues.

Nostrathomas

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had 4 large angels in my 55, and 2 of them did breed, but they ate all the eggs as soon as they came out, in fact, the male was following the female around sucking them out of the breeding tube, so babies were never a concern. What was a concern though is that once breeding they became quite violent towards anything that gets near them, or anywhere near the eggs. With 6 you're practically guaranteed to end up with a mated pair. I wouldn't put that many in a tank that size,I found even 4 to be too many for me, I only have 2 in there now. But, who knows, it might work out well for you.

OP
NMfishman

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for all of your help! I think I will try 4 and hope they don't get aggresive
If anyone else has experience or opinion please add, I would love to hear from you!

Well I am going to go and get the 4 angels tomorrow and will be sure to post pics! I need to get some pics of my current tanks as well!
This is what I will do unless someone here thinks it would be all right to have 6, which is what I would prefer.

Merged back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I want angels in my new 55 gallon and was wondering how many you think is a good number. I do not want to breed them and would like some other peaceful fish with them. I was thinking 6 angels, but would like your opinion.
6 should be fine, but you can always go for less than 6 like maybe 2-4 if you are worried that having 6 would be too much. For my 29 gallon tank I keep 2 and they have grown on their own and hopefully should be spawning some time So if you want to start off try 1 and then get more than 1 angel next time because once the first angel you have put into your tank gained his/her's territory, the chances are the one angel will be bullying the other new angel. So get more than one if you are wanting to introduce more angels the next time

That SHOULD Work. Don't count on me 100% because all angels have different tempers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom