How Many Angels Is It Safe To Get?

Kristin Gray
I have a 55 gallon community tank that I'm currently stocking. Here are what I have so far:
6 Painted Platy's
5 Panda Cory Cats
5 SterbaI Cory Cats
1 small (seriously, tiny) Koi Angelfish

I absolutely adore angelfish, and really want to get more. The Koi I have seems extremely friendly, he/she has been hanging out with the Platy's since I introduced it into the tank, and it is also pretty curious about the Panda's, but they're always on the move. Ideally, I would like to have a total of 4 angelfish. Is this a good idea as long as they are all the same size?

Rainy day
Just because your angel is friendly to other fish, doesn't mean it'll be friendly to other angels, it's actually pretty common for them to leave non angels alone. As for your question, the general rule of thumb is 30 gallons for the first angel, and 10 gallons for each subsequent angel. 4 would be a better number than 3 though, as if you manage getting a pair the third angel will likely end up dead.

Kristin Gray
We had angels once when I was growing up, but never had much luck with them because of a chemical in the tank that we didn't know about (we bought the tank used--big mistake)
What is the likelihood that I will end up with a pair if I do have 4 angels in my tank? And if I do get 4, should I ask for males or females if it's even possible to tell at that young age? Should I stick with only one or two?

HORNET1
I would stick with one and let it grow into your centerpiece fish.

Wraithen
You should just get 3 or 4 with the understanding that all but two may have to be rehomed. It's nearly impossible to acurrately sex juvenile angels.

EBR55
Maybe just add 1 or 2 more don’t forget how territorial they can get with their own kind and they can max out at 6 inches

Dave125g
2 max. Specially in that small of a tank.

EBR55
Your gonna need a REALLY good filter for that tank

Nataku
In a 55 you could do 4 angels easily. I really don't get what is with people lately thinking that a group of angels can't go in a 55. Sure you shouldnt put a dozen in there but four will be fine. They are angelfish not common plecos. They don't get THAT big.

Just be aware that you can' sex juveniles so you have no idea what gender ratio you will end up with. But the tank will be big enough for them unless a pair forms. Then you might be able to make it work if its heavily planted. If the tank is bare, well yeah a pair will try to claim the whole tank.

Kristin Gray
Just be aware that you can' sex juveniles so you have no idea what gender ratio you will end up with. But the tank will be big enough for them unless a pair forms. Then you might be able to make it work if its heavily planted. If the tank is bare, well yeah a pair will try to claim the whole tank.

Do you mean live plants, or artificial? Currently I don’t have a large amount of either, but what ones I do have are artificial. This is a fairly new tank so I didn’t attempt live plants yet, but if adding more plants means that I may be able to have 4 angels I’m willing to try it as they get older.

Dave125g
In a 55 you could do 4 angels easily. I really don't get what is with people lately thinking that a group of angels can't go in a 55. Sure you shouldnt put a dozen in there but four will be fine. They are angelfish not common plecos. They don't get THAT big.

What happens when there's a mated pair of angels? Now add more angels what's gonna happen? If you enjoy seeing aggression and injures , then sure 4 angles in a 55 is for you.

radar
I have four Angels in my 55 and they get along pretty well. A little bounce here or there but no injuries. I raised them in the tank together since they were real small. I have artificial plants at both ends of the tank and large wood center piece. My other 55 has two large Angels both females they get along fine. I must say I have space to rehome any trouble makers.

Rainy day
Yeah I have 5 angels in a 72 (which has similar dimensions to a 55) and 2 of the 5 are a mated pair. I've never seen any injuries, aggression here and there but no real injuries. The other 3 know not to mess with the pair when they're breeding. It leads to a bit of stress, yes, but it usually only lasts a day anyway.

Kristin Gray
Yeah I have 5 angels in a 72 (which has similar dimensions to a 55) and 2 of the 5 are a mated pair. I've never seen any injuries, aggression here and there but no real injuries. The other 3 know not to mess with the pair when they're breeding. It leads to a bit of stress, yes, but it usually only lasts a day anyway.
Is your tank set up with a lot of plants for the other three to hide in when the pair is breeding? Or do they just stay in other areas of the tank?

Dave125g
I tried 2 mated pairs in the 125. Too much aggression. Each pair will spawn every 10 days on average. Meaning 2 days of fighting every week. I like my angels with intact fins. Granted, some angels are more aggressive then others. Some people don't mind fighting fish. That sort of thing is not for me.

Rainy day
Is your tank set up with a lot of plants for the other three to hide in when the pair is breeding? Or do they just stay in other areas of the tank?
I tried 2 mated pairs in the 125. Too much aggression. Each pair will spawn every 10 days on average. Meaning 2 days of fighting every week. I like my angels with intact fins. Granted, some angels are more aggressive then others. Some people don't mind fighting fish. That sort of thing is not for me.

It's heavily planted to the point where fish can hide if they need to, though not to the point where lines of sight are broken. But Dave is 100% right, cichlids are intelligent fish and thus have individual personalities. My angels are pretty mellow compared to some I've seen. You can start off with 4 but be prepared to re-home the other 2 if it doesn't work out. My pair only spawns once a month as well, so it isn't as bad as it could be.

As for what happens in my tank, the mated pair takes up 1/4th of the tank while the others occupy the rest.

Kristin Gray
Dave, I agree, I can’t stand for fish to fight. That’s why I’m considering two (everything has to have a friend in my aquarium) lol. I mean if the pair is just chasing the others away that’s one thing, but if they’re actually hurting each other I couldn’t stand it and would have to separate them.

This brings me to another question, probably a silly one, but is there a way to tell the personality of an angel before I purchase it? By observing the tank I’m buying from possibly? Or is that too much to hope for?

Dave125g
Dave, I agree, I can’t stand for fish to fight. That’s why I’m considering two (everything has to have a friend in my aquarium) lol. I mean if the pair is just chasing the others away that’s one thing, but if they’re actually hurting each other I couldn’t stand it and would have to separate them.

This brings me to another question, probably a silly one, but is there a way to tell the personality of an angel before I purchase it? By observing the tank I’m buying from possibly? Or is that too much to hope for?
Observation can give you a hint, but cichlids are cichlids. They are like jeckel and hide. They can turn violent at any time. Remember your probably going to get a juvenile? At that stage they enjoy schooling with other angels. When they reach sexual maturity that's when aggression pops up. When they pair up even more aggression. Then when they spawn they can be deadly.
There beautiful fish, and a pair will have the run of the tank. That's the good thing. Most other fish will know to avoid them, but not other angels.
Sometimes with multiple angels there will be 1 desirable male. The man the other ladies will kill or die for. That's when it can truly get ugly.

Cljensen
Angels Can be very tempermental. I have 6 adult angels. 1 breeding pair, 4 non paired angels which consist of 3 males and 1 female. My non paired have been flip flopped between tanks for a while trying to get the best pairing. 2 of my male can't live in the same tank even with a divider, they would kill each other. My female barely tolerates any of the males I have and has shredded more than one of the males.

I have a 90 gallon tank and can only keep 2 grown angels in it and the male and female in there are 2 of the meanest I have in the bunch.

Angels can live peacefully together or they can murder each other and any range of love/hate in between those 2 is possible.

2 is do able in your tank and shouldn't be a problem but I would suggest that you spend time watching the tank and get one that is less aggressive one that is more docile and avoid the one that is always chasing and lunging at the others in the tank.

Redshark1
Stick with one,
Its more fun.
Two or more,
That means war.

John Keats

TexasDomer
You could start off with 4, and rehome 2-3 if/when aggression occurs. I tried 4 in a 55 gal and it didn't work out. I tried again with 2 and it worked out for the most part.

Since no one as has mentioned it, I'd rehome the panda cories - they don't have enough temperature overlap with angels But you could swap them out for more Sterbais?

bizaliz3
Stick with one,
Its more fun.
Two or more,
That means war.

John Keats

Hahaha!! I love it!! That sums it up beautifully.

I agree with Dave125g all the way. If you want a peaceful tank that is relaxing to watch, then multiple angels is not for you. Personally, I think aggression is stressful to watch and the tanks are supposed to be relaxing for us. Not stressful.

And even minor aggression can result in damage to their fins. Do you want that?

I suggest sticking with one or two. More is doable, but it would come along with some added stress. I say get 3 more tiny ones like the one you have. Enjoy having a group of juvies for a while and then as they get older and start showing more personality, you can narrow it down to the 2 you think would be the most peaceful in your community.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views
Doonbar
Replies
Views
bsimon615
Top Bottom