How Many Angels In A 26 Gallon Tank?

jocjarmom

Reaction score
My husband and I just got a 26 gallon Fluval bow-front tank. He is not a novice, although I am. We moved our angels into it, and everything was going well until we put some driftwood in (that's a story for another post) and we lost our 2 large angels (their bodies were at least 3-4 inches) which we'd had for a few years and the rest of the fish in our tank! We were very sad.

Anyway, we are starting over from scratch and cycling out the water, getting things ready to create a healthy tank for a new community. (We are in the process of curing new driftwood) Anyway, we want at least 2 angels... would a 3rd be too much? We were also planning to put in a cobalt dwarf gourami, some German rams, a pleco, and eventually some schooling fish.

Also, we found this one at the pet store (he is the size of my other 2) which I think is beautiful. I really want an angel that has some blue in it, and he has some. They have him on hold for me. I am curious if any of you can identify it.

Thank you!

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I won’t be much help but I’ve read that angels shouldn’t be kept in anything smaller than 75 gallons, ideally 100-120 gallons.

I have a 45 gallons and have decided not to get any because it is too small. They would be okay, but they wouldn’t be thriving and happy.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Angelfish required a minimum of at least a 30 gallon. If you want to have a group, go for a 55+.

jocjarmom

Reaction score
Our 2 large angels were previously in a 10 gallon tank before moving to the 26 gallon tank, and they were totally happy. Also at the fish store, they were in MUCH smaller tanks (maybe 20 gallon) with at least another 8-10 large angels and a bunch of gouramis). So it seems that 2 in a 26 gallon tank should be okay, right?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Our 2 large angels were previously in a 10 gallon tank before moving to the 26 gallon tank, and they were totally happy. Also at the fish store, they were in MUCH smaller tanks (maybe 20 gallon) with at least another 8-10 large angels and a bunch of gouramis). So it seems that 2 in a 26 gallon tank should be okay, right?
You need to upgrade it. Angels do much better in larger tanks.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He looks like a paraiba angelfish. Two blue genes and two stripeless genes. (S/S, pb/pb). He is a beautiful angel, but he will be much better in a bigger tank unfortunately. The tank is 2ft long and 18 inches tall?

I for sure wouldn't do an angelfish with a gourami in that size tank. Depending on the schooling fish you choose, they might have a hard time not nipping the angel's long fins.

My thoughts are as beautiful as this angel is, it would be better to stick to the dwarf gourami or honey gouramis and Bolivian rams. German Blue rams require higher temps than the rest of your proposed stock. A small pleco like bushynose or clown would be better choices for that tank, just bear in mind they carry a large bioload for their size and the tank will need more care (your time) with keeping water quality.

Fyi: Bushynose plecos eat mostly algae, clown plecos eat more carnivorous foods like shrimp pellets and require driftwood in the tank. Actually BN do much better with driftwood too!

I just read your last post. Don't go by how they are kept at the LFS. These are temporary setups and often they are cramped to fit and sell more fish. The number of fish are changing daily. The fish store has to make a ton of water changes (likely everyday) just to keep fish alive. And I guarantee he isn't (or any of the fish) showing their full potential. I can't go at all by what the fish look like in the store. They come home and do a complete transformation, provided their requirements are met.

Last edited:

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Putting a fish in too small of a tank just because you can is never a good thing. I can shove a cow in a closet too but that doesn't mean that I am meeting all of the animal's basic needs. (extreme example but you get the point)

Angels need a minimum of 30g, even that is really too small for full grown angels in my opinion. If you're wanting multiple you're going to want to look at larger tanks.

If this is the biggest tank you can get then I would look at fish that are more compatible with your tank. The quote in my signature really is the perfect quote for this situation. Yes, your angels were surviving temporarily but 3-4" is pretty small for an angel which means they died before they were full grown Angelfish reach 6" or larger, which is why they should not be in small tanks.

Also comparing your tank to a fish stores display sales tanks is very different. Fish are there temporarily and the fish do not always survive that stress, most fish stores just scoop out the dead fish 3-4 times a day. (Trust me I use to work for a LFS)

bwer2

Reaction score
10 gallons?!?! 2 angles need at least 55....
Fish stores can stock like that because it’s only temporary...the fish are in and out
The angles will be short lived in a 26G

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pairs can be housed in a 30.
I keep my pairs in a 3ft 33g tank @18" tall, but I tend to only have them like that for a few months and swap them out. That said, I feel the 3ft length is ok for a breeding pair of angels and only the two in the tank (no tankmates).

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I keep my pairs in a 3ft 33g tank @18" tall, but I tend to only have them like that for a few months and swap them out. That said, I feel the 3ft length is ok for a breeding pair of angels and only the two in the tank (no tankmates).
That size tank is fine for a breeding pair. I've even seen discus breeders keep a pair in a 20 gallon.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That size tank is fine for a breeding pair. I've even seen discus breeders keep a pair in a 20 gallon.
I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is these breeder tanks are completely dedicated to the pair. They are often bare-bottom for easy thorough siphoning and includes daily water changes at times, especially if they are taking care of babies. It can get pretty messy. Not exactly a setup for the average person wanting to keep a fish tank.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I won’t be much help but I’ve read that angels shouldn’t be kept in anything smaller than 75 gallons, ideally 100-120 gallons.

I have a 45 gallons and have decided not to get any because it is too small. They would be okay, but they wouldn’t be thriving and happy.
Yeah, definitely not helpful at all! I'd like to see that pic of your angelfish. Must be monstrous!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 75g for a group of angels. I had a nice pair in a 46g bow, was great size for a pair of angels I thought. Tbh, idk how much room there'd be for tankmates with two angels in a 45g and there's controversy over keeping just one angel.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom