How Many Angelfish Would Be Recommended?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by PlantedTank, Mar 19, 2018.

1. PlantedTank

PlantedTankValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hello I have a mostly empty 55 gal aquarium. The only stock in it is a pair of GBR and a BN Pleco. I used to have 2 angelfish in the tank a long time ago, but they ended up almost fighting to the death so I had to get rid of them and the tank has been very empty since then. I really loved my angelfish because I was able to hand feed them bloodworms and it was one of the coolest experiences I have ever had in fishkeeping.

As for the tank set up I have 2 big pieces of manzanita driftwood which looks insane and a couple caves for the GBR if they get spooked and some live plants. I have a Marineland C-360 canister rated at 100 gal and a Aquaclear 50 HOB on the back so I am almost triple filtering the tank.

How many angelfish could I put into this tank? I am looking at most likely buying juvi angels. Is it better to buy them in even or odd numbers?

2. kayla.s

kayla.sWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +603
    Experience:
    2 years
    Would recommend an even number but don't think you'd be able to fit 4 in this tank, so either 2 or 3. But buying them as juvis is a good idea :)

3. OP
    OP
    PlantedTank

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Ok thank you. I found a deal online for 6 dime to nickel size angels in the exact colors I like for less than $45. I'm thinking about buying all 6 since that is the minimum order and leaving them in the 55 till they get a little bigger. Once they get bigger I will remove a couple of the most aggressive ones of the bunch and in theory should have a peaceful tank.

4. AquaCPR

AquaCPRNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Honestly if this was my tank I’d get one Angelfish and one or two additional cichlids such as blue acara or convict, and another pleco. (In my limited experience) Angelfish like to swim vertically as much as, or more than, horizontally and are such attention HOGS that more than one may not be comfortable in your tank. If some time has passed and life is still good in your tank, you may want to consider adding several rainbow fish for variety...

5. Rojer Ramjet

Rojer RamjetWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +293
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Attrition has solved most of my stocking problems over the years...

6. Rainy day

Rainy dayWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +333
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Sounds like a good plan, though you'll probably just be left with a single pair as opposed to multiples.

7. OP
    OP
    PlantedTank

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I've heard convicts can be pretty nasty and non compatible with the GBR. If I were left with just 1 angel to handfeed I'd still be pretty happy and would probably just add a couple Apistos to add some more color.

8. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would only do convicts in a species only tank. They can be nasty little fish.

9. AquaCPR

AquaCPRNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Well I’ve never had convicts personally, so I’m going on reports from different sources, and as an optimist I prefer the GOOD REPORTS! :)

My angel is such a HAM, he would never put up with any competition, real or perceived! But he does get along great with my 2 Rainbowfish.

10. OP
    OP
    PlantedTank

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thank you guys for all the help! I will try and post some more updates to this post. Right now the 55 is in storage due to having to empty and move it to get new carpet in the house. The fish are all stuck in the QT tank for now until this friday. I am hoping to order the Angelfish thursday and put them into the qt and all the rest of the fish back into the 55. It's going to be kind of a time crunch, but hopefully all goes well.

Become a Fishlore Member