how many angelfish in a 64 gallon ??????

1. theaquarist Initiate Member

heii guys so.... my sister has a 64 galon tank .... just wanna ask .. how many angelfish can she keep in there ????

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions?

3. theaquarist Initiate Member

you can find the exact dimension on google by writing juwel rio 240 dimensions

okk ???

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

What other kind of fish does she hope to keep in there?

The tank is 4 feet long, so it is pretty similar in size to a standard 55 gallon....its just a little bit wider.

It really depends on how many other fish she wants, if she wants more middle swimmers with the angels...like schooling fish or whatever.

If it were me, I would keep either two angels or 4 angels in that tank. Again, depending on what other stock is wanted.....

5. theaquarist Initiate Member

how many could she keep if she keeps only angelfish ??
    and if she keeps them with other fish ... what fish and how many angels and other fish ???

6. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

If only angelfish, I would suggest a MAX of 4. But angels can develop real aggression issues when they get bigger. And there is a good chance when keeping 4 that two of them might pair off and have even more aggression problems on top of their natural aggression!

Also, with only angels in the middle, she can still look at bottom dwellers like cory catfish, or loaches, or bn pleco etc. I just wouldn't do more middle swimmers because 4 adult angels would max out that middle ground.

Otherwise, just stick with two angels and add a smaller schooling fish in the middle with them, like my personal fav harlequin rasboras. I also really like schools of Ghost catfish. I have kept both of those species with angels. Same with cories and bn plecos.

A lot of people ultimately choose to just do one angelfish knowing that aggression issues could arise requiring fish to be rehomed and they don't want to have to do that. For this tank I would say one, two or four angels. But never three. Three is a bad number for angels. And if she has no experience with angels and if this is the only tank (meaning there is no back up for separating fish if need be)......it might be smart to just get one or two angels.

And definitely introduce them as babies or juveniles. The odds of them getting along will be better. But you will still likely face aggression issues when they get older. That is unavoidable. Angels are very unpredictable, sometimes things work out fine and they get along for life....sometimes they don't. It's always a gamble.

7. theaquarist Initiate Member

Ok thanks

8. Beretta Initiate Member

Angels are shoaling fish and although they can be comfortably kept as singles or pairs, will do fine in a descent size group. If it is an angel only tank, I would keep 6 to 8. If you want to keep other fish and are concerned over tank space, or bio load, keep a single and stock other fish accordingly to that.

9. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I strongly disagree with the previous post. Angels do most of their schooling as babies and juvies. It doesn't work quite the same when they are adults.

6-8 adult angels in a tank that size could result in an eventual blood bath in my opinion. That would be very cramped and angels can get very large! Not only that but you will definitely end up with at least one breeding pair and maybe more. And that causes even bigger problems!

If you choose to get that many it won't be a long-term option. I guarantee it. Be prepared to have to give them away as they grow.

10. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I agree.

11. theaquarist Initiate Member

thanks to all for your help

12. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I really hope someone else chimes in and gives some more advice for you. Right now the only advice you have received is very conflicting. That isn't very helpful. I am sorry for that.

13. theaquarist Initiate Member

no worries thanks for helping out

14. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

agreed with bizaliz3. While young you can keep more but I wouldn't keep anymore than 4 in a 4 foot tank at adulthood.

15. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I couldn't even keep 4 adult angels in my tank. Two paired off and kept the other two in a corner all the time. That's no way for the 2 being bullied to live, so I rehomed them.

16. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

If upping the number of angels reduces aggression (which I am not aware of, but am not saying is wrong) then fine. However, angels get very large!!! So aggression aside, we are talking very little swimming space with 8 full sized angels in a 4foot tank. And that's a fact.

So if we aren't worried about aggression issues because stocking large numbers will remedy that, then lets focus on swimming space. We are talking just a half of a foot for each angel! That sounds miserable to me!!!

17. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you. But I can tell you that if I threw 5 red terror's or 5 dovii in a 75 gallon or 90 gallon or probably even a 125 gallon that eventually I would end up with 4 dead fish.

I personally don't think that a 4 foot tank provides enough room for 6 full grown angels. Can it work? Sure maybe but I'd say it has a better chance of not working.

18. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

You are the one that said it worked with all cichlids. So comparing red terrors and dovii's to angels was within your logic.

Anyways you have your opinion. And that's great. But to infer that this "small forum" is a cycle of misinformation is rude and to completely discount two very experienced angel keepers and angel breeders is ridiculous. Have a great day