How Many Angelfish In A 150 Gallon Tank?

AVNS27

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello everyone. this is my first post in the forum.
I have a 150 gallon planted tank. I plan to add angelfishes to the tank. Currently I have 6 cardinal tetras, 6 black tetras, 6 juliI cories, and 3 bristle nose plecos. I was wondering how many angelfish I can get as I heard that they can get aggressive especially once matured and pairing starts. How many would be enough so that everyone remains stress free?

Zigi Zig

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Morning
Is hard to tell how many is also depend on filtration I would start with 6 and watch your water parameters if it go's well I would add some more

OP
AVNS27

AVNS27

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ZigI Zig said:
I would start with 6 and watch your water parameters if it go's well I would add some more
At what number of angelfishes should I stop adding more? Thanks for your answer btw!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 5 young ones in our 150 tall. Might move a solitary from another aquarium in after they get a bit larger.

OP
AVNS27

AVNS27

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
I have 5 young ones in our 150 tall. Might move a solitary from another aquarium in after they get a bit larger.
I'm not that familiar with the difference of 150 gallon long and 150 gallon tall. Would you mind elaborating?

Are you planning to add more or is six the final number. I may follow in your foot steps. Do tell me how they do though. I really want to know!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The standard 150 is 6' long. The 150 tall is 4'X 31" tall X 24" deep.

5-6 angles will be the final number.

I find that if you introduce them within a couple months of each others age (while young) things go better. I also keep other active fish with them to keep them distracted from each other. There is a school of 11 rummy nose along with 7 female mollies and one male molly in there.

This shot was taken in the early morning before I went to work. I add the supplements for the plants at that time. Most of the fish are still sleeping in the plants.
_MG_9618-Edit.0.jpg

Zigi Zig

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:

I find that if you introduce them within a couple months of each others age (while young) things go better. I also keep other active fish with them to keep them distracted from each other. There is a school of 11 rummy nose along with 7 female mollies and one male molly in there.

This shot was taken in the early morning before I went to work. I add the supplements for the plants at that time. Most of the fish are still sleeping in the plants.
_MG_9618-Edit.0.jpg
Very nice setup I love tall tanks as you can tell on your Angel fish how much space it got and how big fins they have..

OP
AVNS27

AVNS27

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:

_MG_9618-Edit.0.jpg
I see. I have the 6' long then it seems. That tank looks awesome and those are pretty cool angels! I am going to get 8 first, pick my favorites then dwindle them to 5 or 6. Thanks for the help guys!

Greg F

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
General rule of thumb is 29 gallons for 1 and 1 additional for each additional 10 gallons. Guess low with a tall tank. You could do 10 easy.

Keeping Angels is never stress free if you have more than 1. They will pair off , fight for dominance , lay eggs and make everyone else in the tank anxious. That being said I love them. Lots of tall plants and a bunch of dither fish help. Also , if the black tetras are black skirt tetras and not black neon tetras there is a good possibility they will be nippy on the angels fins. It might be just fine but they have been known to be little jerks. Counter intuitively it would be better to have more than 6. Try 12 and they will likely be far to worried about each other than to mess with the Angels. Same goes for upping the cardinals.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say in a 150 long you could easily put 10in there. It’s longer with more surface area. The tall has less surface and is more of a show tank. With 10 there’s more to share the aggression on. I now have 12 discus in a 5’ 125.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
***Ok...so I typed up the following response before I realized this is a 2 month old thread and the last two July replies were not responded to. But since I spent the time typing it up, I am going to post it anyway. haha

AVNS27 have you made any progress on the stocking in the last couple months?***

I would say around 10 angels as well. But as stated by others, you will surely deal with aggression issues even in a large tank when they are sexually mature. And as also stated, it is best to let them grow up together. It gives you the best chance of success overall.

I don't know what your other plans are....but 6 is a very very very small number for a school of fish. It is the absolute bare minimum. So...with a 150 gallon I am surprised that you would have them in such tiny groups.

With that being said...I know you didn't ask...but I suggest that in addition to roughly 10 angels....you add 20+ cardinals. Another 10ish black tetras and like 10 or more of the cories

manning7987

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AVNS27 said:
Hello everyone. this is my first post in the forum.
I have a 150 gallon planted tank. I plan to add angelfishes to the tank. Currently I have 6 cardinal tetras, 6 black tetras, 6 juliI cories, and 3 bristle nose plecos. I was wondering how many angelfish I can get as I heard that they can get aggressive especially once matured and pairing starts. How many would be enough so that everyone remains stress free?
Hello I have 3 crayfish 4 fiddler crabs 5 scissor tails 4 long skirt tetras 1 very large tinfoil barb and 7 large angel fish. They will do just fine just keep them in odd numbers. That’s what I was always told.

Oh and 2 plecos

New Threads