30 Gallon Tank How Many Angelfish Can Go In A 30 Gallon?

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Two angelfish in a 30gal tank (especially if it isn't a tall tank) would be pushing it, IMO. Angelfish get to be 6" long and up to 10" tall, so they need taller tanks in order to be happy. I personally wouldn't put a pair of angelfish in anything smaller than a 40gal tall tank.

darrellg1

Well Known
Hello Tyspot1000

ive found some information about the amount of angles you can keep per gallon in your tank going by size of your angels...

Nickel size bodies 1 angelfish per gallon
Quarter size bodies 1 angelfish per 2 gallons
Silver dollar size bodies 1 angelfish per 3 gallons
Stock ready to be paired 1 angelfish per 5 gallons
Full grown breeding pair 20 gallon tall

I hope this helps

Darrellg1

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Hello Tyspot1000

ive found some information about the amount of angles you can keep per gallon in your tank going by size of your angels...

Nickel size bodies 1 angelfish per gallon
Quarter size bodies 1 angelfish per 2 gallons
Silver dollar size bodies 1 angelfish per 3 gallons
Stock ready to be paired 1 angelfish per 5 gallons
Full grown breeding pair 20 gallon tall

I hope this helps

Darrellg1

If you've found this information elsewhere, you really should link your source.

I don't agree with a lot of this post, by the way. You shouldn't stock according to a fish's current size, but rather its adult size.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Good morning,

I'm not certain that I agree with Darrellg's list of stocking information above in post #3.

Keep in mind that when you stock your tanks, you have to go by the adult size of the fish and not the size they are as juveniles. For example, 5 Angels the size of nickel requiring 1 gallon each are going to require a lot more space as adults and should not be housed in a 5 gallon tank.

However, Darrellg's list may be ok for temporary housing for fry and juveniles.

Let's get some more responses on this.

Ken

darrellg1

Well Known
Hello All..

my post was a link I got from angelfish pairs which there stocking list was according to size of angels.

I personly have 2x tans 2ft x 2ft x 1ft for both my breeding pairs of angels..

Darrellg1

OP
T

tyspot1000

Well Known
well thanks for all the replies. today I got rid of all my zebra danios and bought 2 angelfish, 5 harlequin rasaboras, a dwarf gourami, and a adult black molly. my tank is taller than it is longer so... the angels are just babys and the tend to hang around the middle.

Regal

Well Known
Two angels should do fine in a 30 gallon.

LICfish

Well Known
I also think a 30 should be ok for 2 angels, especially since it's tall as you said.

OP
T

tyspot1000

Well Known
now they tend to stay with eackother and go all over the tank.

I also think a 30 should be ok for 2 angels, especially since it's tall as you said.

as your aqurium info says, does your red eye terta ever fight or kill eachother like ppl say they do??

LICfish

Well Known
as your aqurium info says, does your red eye terta ever fight or kill eachother like ppl say they do??

No actually. I was so worried about that when I first got them. (I actually got them for free and had no idea how many I was getting.) They're balloon variety and in a good number school so they're pretty docile. They just chase each other around and are playful.

Are yours causing a problem?

flyin-lowe

Well Known
2 angels would be ok in 30 gallon tank but I think you are overstocked if you keep all the other fish in there. If you want the angels and all the others then a 55 gallon might be better.

OP
T

tyspot1000

Well Known
No actually. I was so worried about that when I first got them. (I actually got them for free and had no idea how many I was getting.) They're balloon variety and in a good number school so they're pretty docile. They just chase each other around and are playful.

no they only nip at eachother and don't school. but I am probably taking them back cuz my tank is a tiny bit over stocked. not by much but a little.

2 angels would be ok in 30 gallon tank but I think you are overstocked if you keep all the other fish in there. If you want the angels and all the others then a 55 gallon might be better.

I am gion to get rid of the 3 lamp eye tetras, the black skirt tetra, and the rainbow shark

FishHobbiest

Well Known
Yeah taking them back would be a good idea and good luck with your angels

gokaran

simple answer
take it from experience

Regal

Well Known

I had the same experience when I had them. I had 12 in my 75 gallon. They never bothered any other fish or each other. They stayed in a very tight school and spent almost all of their time swimming into the filter current.

When I saw someone mention them being aggressive recently I was surprised because I didn't know they had that reputation.

I gave them away because they were pretty boring. They get pretty big. I saw them later after giving them away and couldn't believe how big they were.

LICfish

Well Known
Best of luck tyspot1000. We hope to see some photos later

I had the same experience when I had them. I had 12 in my 75 gallon. They never bothered any other fish or each other. They stayed in a very tight school and spent almost all of their time swimming into the filter current.

When I saw someone mention them being aggressive recently I was surprised because I didn't know they had that reputation.

I gave them away because they were pretty boring. They get pretty big. I saw them later after giving them away and couldn't believe how big they were.

Yeah they seem to like swimming against a current. I think they're funny I also hear they get pretty big. Mine are still pretty small

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fish0n
Replies
Views
bopsalot
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
  • Question
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies
Views
blennylover2323

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

There are products you can use to reduce nitrates? CindiL has a review of several nitrate reducing products here:
Review of Nitrate Reducers

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom