How many and what gender for Glowlight Tetras and Honey Gouramis

peddidle

So I’m still waiting for fish to be available locally for my cycled 20-gallon tall. (PetSmart has a horrific fish section, PetCo is usually good but hasn’t been getting all their orders in and has been quarantining a lot lately, and lfs doesn’t have much and keeps bettas in cups and promotes same care buy selling cups for them). As I’m waiting, I’m starting to question my stocking choice, which will eventually be 8 Glowlight Tetras, 1-3 Honey Gouramis, and some shrimp. What I’m wondering:

1. Would 8 Glowlight Tetras be enough or should they be kept in larger groups? They will be a random mix of males and females rather than a specific ratio.
2. Is there a different type of common fish that would be a better fit? I’m open to suggestions except neons. Keep in mind that I only have access to very common fish—I haven’t seen ones like Cherry Barbs or Celestial Danios or anything, just stuff like Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras at times, various guppies (though I already have Cobra Guppies in my 10-gallon), etc.
3. Hopefully the Honey Gouramis I ordered through PetCo will come in at some point, though there’s no estimated time of arrival or even any guarantee they’ll get them. However, they said they will receive 3, if successful, but it will be random as to what genders. Keeping in mind my tank is only 20 gallons, how many should I get if they are all males? all females? 2 males and 1 female? 1 male and 2 females?

MissNoodle

If all males, buy only one. Best is 1 male to more females.

8-10 glowlights would work. Glowlights are beautiful little fish.

I know you say no neons, but what about black neons? Theyre beautiful and stay small. Still a bit sensitive, so acclimate carefully and expect losses from that, but no different than glowlights. Their gold and black colouring would compliment a honey gourami and theyre very peaceful and stay under 1.5 inches.

20191215_045803.jpg
20191212_165200.jpg

peddidle

I think PetCo might have had one black neon tetra when I was last there. It was in a tank with other tetras. Not sure if he accidentally hitched a ride, was just the "one fish too many" that got left when all his friends were bought, or if the rest of his buddies didn't make it through quarantine or something. I felt kinda bad for him being the only one of its kind in the tank and would have brought it home if I had others he could join. I'll keep my eye out for more--I really just meant I didn't want the traditional neon tetras (mostly because I've read that they have a lot of health problems due to overbreeding/inbreeding, though I can't say whether that's really true or not). I do actually really like the looks of neon tetras, so I'm definitely interested in seeing if I can find more black neons in town here. Thanks for the suggestion!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
FeederGuppies
Replies
Views