How many Amazon swords are too many?

Granamyr

So I have a 90 gallon tank that I'm starting to finally make a planted tank. I have a nice amazon sword that has a bunch of little ones ready to trim off. I actually have 2 that I have already trimmed. I plan on getting a Kleiner bar Sword as well just to have a different color plant in there. How many would be too many though? I know they get big but they can be pruned as well to keep them smaller.

Just curious on others thoughts as I don't want to have to fertilize too much. I will put a fert tab in per plant every couple months just to make sure they are good though.

FullyCaffeinated

I don't think there is a limit to swords as long as you have enough ferts and variation. They will just need to be spaced far enough apart so they don't starve any other plant for light.

I have a large 20" mother in a 20G with 3 other medium amazons and a flame sword. I've found that the fert dosing needs to be on the high end.

Granamyr

So what do you do with the runners that make the extra plants when you've had enough, do you let the runners grow a long ways before you cut them back? or do you cut them early so that it doesn't waste nutrients building the new plants on them?

Chris99

Two of my swords have runners right now that I'm pretty sure will go in the trash. I've cut a few of the babies and filled in some bare spots in other tanks. I've been reluctant to get rid of them but going forward I'll probably just cut the runners early on.

FullyCaffeinated

I usually just leave the runners on until they have two or three leaves and are large enough to survive. Or just fall off. I'd hate to waste them.... And I have multiple tanks so space isn't an issue.

You could easily sell them to others instead of tossing them.

And I'll take any extra runners others may have if they'll just go in the trash

Granamyr

do you want me to ship extra plants from Ohio to you?

FullyCaffeinated

do you want me to ship extra plants from Ohio to you?

Haha yeah I'd be willing to pay the $6 shipping for any extra runners as long as they're 2" high at least

Granamyr

Ok well I have a few more spots I plan on using a couple more before I get to that point. The ones that are currently growing are spoken for. The plant has only been in my aquarium for about a week and a half we'll see if it grows more or if I don't have a green thumb

Granamyr

So I picked up a Kleiner Bar Sword and a red melon sword last night to put in my tank. Anyone know of anything goofy with those. Both I've looked up and seem like they are fairly easy to care for. However, I was surprised many people said the red melon doesn't grow very much. I hadn't read that about it until I got it home though even though I had looked it up before.

Does anyone have any experience with those?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Vishaquatics
Replies
Views
EnlightenedOne
Replies
Views
DutchAquarium
Replies