How Many Amano Shrimp Can I Get? Question

1. DylanM Member Member

I recently decided that I wanted to heavily plant my 20 long tank, more so than before, and so I won't be able to get corys since they need larger of just sand to filter through. I have been having a very minor algae situation, ever since I changed my lighting to 7 hours split photoperiod all of the algae I was having before has gone away, and only brown algae has been growing in my tank(along with some clearish-whiteish dots on the glass of the tank, which supposedly are normal in a new tank and will go away if the tank is properly cared for), and in moderate amounts. I decided to combat the not being able to get cory problem and the minor brown algae problem on my plants and glass with amino shrimp. I think they fit my spots/stripes theme of the tank and If I can get them, I would love to know how many I should get to completely my tank stock.

Here is my current stock:
    - 5 zebra danios
    - 5 long finned zebra danios (school with normal zebras, to form a school of 10 danios)
    - micro sword, ludwiga, anubias, argentine sword
    - 1 pearl gourami, and before you start replying saying they need a minimum tank size of 29 gallons, she seems to like it in this one and is only 2 inches currently, if she ever goes above exactly 4 inches I will relocate her to a larger tank in my home.

Here is my heating/filtration/lighting: Aquaclear 50 w/ fluval biomax & a sponge, Aqueon 100w pro heater set to 76 degrees fahrenheit, finnex 24/7 planted+ SE 30 inches.

Picture:

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 7.59.21 PM.png

Note: I plan to get many more plants in the future to make the tank very nice for the gourami, along with some moss for the shrimp, and some more rocks and plants to aquascape the left side of the tank.

Thanks for your help!

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Amano shrimp get the same size as ghost shrimp, if not a little larger, so I wouldn't worry about them, especially with a 2 inch pearl gourami which has a small mouth. I'd get 5-10 amano shrimp.

4. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Pearl Gouramis won't eat Amano shrimp, they have a tiny mouth.

But before I get anything else, I would work on getting more plants and floating plants. The tank is too bare for fish and shrimp. But it is off to a great start!

5. goplecos Well Known Member Member

It's not the size but the color. Amanos aren't clear so Gouramis can see them. A small mouth doesn't matter they will pick at the shrimp relentlessly. I have had Bettas do this, and 2 of my friends have had it with Gouramis.

6. DylanM Member Member

I realize this, I have been trying to find a good floating plant that looks nice from below and doesn't spread so quickly I have to trim it every few days, because it would be over the rock area with low light plants below. I also need 1 or 2 bushy plants that I can put in the planted side, any suggestions?

7. DylanM Member Member

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I chose my pearl gourami from my lfs because it had the best coloring, AND it seemed to be less hyper than the other ones in the store. I know pearl gouramis aren't necessarily hyper to begin with, but I could definitely tell a difference with this one, so I'll take a chance with some 1" amano shrimp. I actually haven't fed brine shrimp in the past 4 or so days since I got her, just tropical flakes so she has a less likely chance of attacking actual shrimp that I drop in the tank. I will continue feeding brine a few days after the amanos are added, I'm thinking either 8 or 10 shrimp, probably 8 to keep my bio-load lower.

Edit: Just in case anyone is concerned that she isn't aggressive ENOUGH to compete with the danios for food, she seems to eat relatively quickly and aggressively, but never bothers the danios during, or not during feeding time. I usually feed either 1/2 a teaspoon of defrosted frozen blood worms, or a large pinch of crushed up tropical once flakes every day.

8. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Amano do get bigger than ghosts, both in length and in girth. Imo, pearl gouramis are one of the most peaceful among the larger gourami species, mine have never bothered amano shrimp, and like someone said earlier they have a very small mouth and would not be able to eat any adult amano whole.

9. DylanM Member Member

Thank you, I will definitely be picking some up now. I have 3 lfs near me, so I will likely be able to find them at one of them,

10. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I like dwarf water lettuce and frogbit, both are not easy to find. They do spread but I wouldn't call it trimming. Just grab a handful and you are done :)
    Water wisteria grows quickly in a rich substrate.

Btw, I wouldn't trust my sparkling gouramis (teeny size) with amanos but my keyhole cichlids are absolutely fine with them.

11. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

My bettas didn't mess with my amano shrimp. Also as Five 97 mentioned pearls are more peaceful.

12. goplecos Well Known Member Member

It all depends on the fish. Some Gouramis are super peaceful but mine tried to kill everything in sight.

13. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

What kind of gouramis do/did you have? That's true for most bettas, but saying that gouramis in general have the same attitude toward shrimp isn't correct. :)

14. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I kept a school of Chocolate Gouramis. They were always super nice to each other and were always together. They actually tried to kill my neons, and this has in a 55 gallon. I later gave them to someone who wanted a species only tank.

15. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Are you sure they were chocolate gouramis? I've read of CG's going after baby RCS and CRS, but never heard of one taking on any adults of either species.

16. DylanM Member Member

I'm going to do a 50% water change to get rid of the last bit of aquarium salt, then I'm going to pick up the shrimps today. :)

17. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I don't know what else they could be. They looked exactly like chocolate gouramis.

18. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

It all depends on the personality of certain fish..... especially when it comes to ones with the personality of gouramis/anabantids.

19. DylanM Member Member

I will be posting a video of me introducing them to the tank on youtube soon. :) I added them about an hour ago along with 3 moss balls...