How Many Almond Leaves Should I Use?

1. LuniqueKero

LuniqueKero Valued Member Member

I have a 55Gal aquarium, the PH around here is at 7.8, I bought some Almond leaves and I was wondering how many do I need to put in to have a noticeable effect to lower the ph to 7?

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

How high is your gH?

3. OP
    OP
    LuniqueKero

whats gh?
    *edit*

109 - 124

4. 75g Discus Tank

General hardness.

Basically, it kinda corresponds with the oH and how easily it will change.

Why do you want to lower your pH?

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

It'll be KH you need to know to alter ph.

GH is general hardness and is decided by mostly dissolved calcium, magnesium, and other minerals
    KH is carbonate hardness and is a measurement of the calcium carbonate in the water. The KH buffers the ph, so unless you have a very low KH it'll be close to impossible to alter ph that much.

6. OP
    OP
    LuniqueKero

I have a bit of an algea problem on some of my plants and I was told that these type of algae like higher ph, so I should try lowering the ph of the water with a few almond leaves to see if it works

7. 75g Discus Tank

Oh! I mixed them up! Oops!

Sorry about that @LuniqueKero!

@-Mak- is correct.

8. -Mak-

Algae doesn't really care about ph. Algae is usually caused by too much light and/or tank imbalance

9. OP
    OP
    LuniqueKero

10. -Mak-

Is that an alternanthera species?
    Red plants are harder grow and like better lighting, ferts, and CO2, so this one's just not doing so well without. When plants aren't growing well, algae swoops in and takes over the plant. Healthy plants are the best algae prevention

11. OP
    OP
    LuniqueKero

I got stronger lights when I started my tank and I add 1 cap of potassium, half a cap of iron, 2 push of tropica premium and 1 push of tropia specialized nutrition everyday, I dont have CO2 though, way too expensive

The plant seem to be doing pretty well though, it went from a tiny little bush to a plant that grew all the way to the surface

12. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

I would be wary about messing with Ph levels, next to ammonia & nitrite Ph swings are the next in line for sending fish into shock & killing them. Algae like two things to thrive, excess light & a food source so to keep the algae under control it's best to reduce the time lights are on (no more than 8 hours a day) & watch how much food you put in the tank (including plant food). Do you have anything in the tank that likes to snack on algae? I had a bit of a problem with brown algae a while back & put 6 Amano shrimp in, a short time later algae was gone & has never come back.

13. OP
    OP
    LuniqueKero

I do, I have shrimps, snails and siamese algae eaters. The lights are on 7:40 per day, 2H in the morning, 5:40 in the evening and I do my best to not overfeed ,I do a water change every week.