How many African Dwarf Frogs can I fit comfortably in a ten gallon with a female Betta?

BBetta

So I have a ten gallon tank with one female Plakat Betta, a bunch of bladder snails, lots of live plants and natural decor, and a low flow filter, so all the necessities to house a ADF's comfortably, but I'm not are how many to put in my tank. If possible I want to get all females, because I know the males croak, and since my tank is in my room, that's not super ideal. Also, I know that ADF's have really bad eyesight, and can easily mistake things to be food, so do you think they will try to eat the baby snails? I am not too worried about the snails themselves, because there a lot in my tank, but I don't want the frog to hurt themselves trying to munch on a hard snail shell. I also know that because of there bad eye sight, it's helpful to feed them with a turkey baster, so if I were to use freeze dried bloodworms and maybe some sort of pellet, do you think they would go for it? I know i'm asking a lot of questions, but I just want to be sure they will thrive in my tank. Any advice would be great!

FishGirl38

I might get some flack from people telling me that's too many but I would think you could keep 3 in the 10G with the betta. A pair might be better but 3 wouldn't be too many I don't think - and they are social.

I don't think you'd have an issue with the frogs trying to eat the snails. In my experience, they use their sense of smell more than their eyes and since the snail shouldn't smell like food, they should be fine together. I used to have some adf in a 45G. I had plants so I might have had bladder snails but I don't remember...but I never had a problem with mine. One of em did manage to climb up my airline and out the back of my aquarium though (idk any other way that he would've gotten out of the tank but he did, I found him and put him back and he was fine but that did happen.)

BBetta

FishGirl38 said:
I might get some flack from people telling me that's too many but I would think you could keep 3 in the 10 gallon with the betta. A pair might be better but 3 wouldn't be too many I don't think - and they are social.

I don't think you'd have an issue with the frogs trying to eat the snails. In my experience, they use their sense of smell more than their eyes and since the snail shouldn't smell like food, they should be fine together. I used to have some adf in a 45G. I had plants so I might have had bladder snails but I don't remember...but I never had a problem with mine. One of em did manage to climb up my airline and out the back of my aquarium though (idk any other way that he would've gotten out of the tank but he did, I found him and put him back and he was fine but that did happen.)
Ya originally I was going to do three, but could I do all females? I haven't been able to find out if you have to do a male to female ratio, or if you can do all female.

david1978

I agree 3. Just make sure the betta doesnt steal all their food. I see no issue going all female.

Lucy

Hi!
The frogs in the store are usually too young to sex. They don't really croak. It's more of a ZZZZT sound. Not loud enough that it would keep you awake :)

I've had Malaysian trumpet snails sneak into my frog tanks every now and then. It always worried they'd try to eat them and choke. It never happened but it was a worry for me and imo a possibility.

I've never had luck with turkey basters. I fed mine with blunt nosed plastic tweezers. You'll have more control. Once they got old enough it was all frogs for themselves since they didn't have tank mates. Freeze dried food is said to cause constipation. I'll provide a link below with better food option.

I have to respectfully agree and disagree with fishgirl. ADF's are carnivores so snails would smell pretty darn good to them. Plus they often lunge at things that move. Like betta tails, algae floating by, they're just silly.

In a 10 gallon you could easily do 5 or 6 frogs. Give them plenty of places to hide and feel secure. Real or sikplants to perch on.

There two links might help:
Care Sheet For African Dwarf Frogs | Amphibians 36417

ADF Tadpole Development | Amphibians 96366

Good luck, you'll love having ADF's!

Salem

Since everyone has already chimed in on the number of frogs I would also like to mention that you may want to be careful. ADFs as you mentioned have bad eyesight and might mistake things for food. This includes your betta herself. If she's small enough to even partially fit inside of a frogs mouth there's a risk (though small due to her speed) that she may end up as a snack. This isn't common and honestly isn't much of a worry but it is something to at least be aware of.

The more common risk is that your betta may not like the frogs. ADFs are pretty slow and tend to just kinda chill with their legs all spread out. That can be an easy target for something as fast as a betta. It might be a good idea to have a backup plan if they don't get along.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom