How many adult guppies in a 55 gallon?

1. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

Hello all I was wondering if I could get some human advice thats not aquadvisor. I would like to know how many adult guppy can easily comfortably fit into a 55 gallon long planted tank with 6 neons.

Or if I end up raising my neon numbers to 10-12 how many guppies then?

Edit: I have looked at a few guppy sites and have read anything from 20 max all the way to no more then 300. Seems ridiculous to me to have even 100 and am leaning to more like 20 max but thought I would get your more reasonable opinions.

2. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Possibly 10-15.
    But they will breed like rabbits.

3. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Oh thank you, I was wondering how many fry I can keep. I know that my fish store takes them but I have nine guppy now and about 20 fry. Knew I was not keeping them all but love to have a long term number to shoot for and am just shooting to keep the most lovely. Also knew that 100 or 300 as some said was just silly! Three guppy were filling up my tank with how they swim all over, 20 would be crowded!

4. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Plus arent guppies a higher bioload especially relative to their size?

Even following the outdated inch of fish per gallon rule, 100 would be overstocked!

5. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Exactly.

6. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Oh they are! Talk about vacuuming yeesh. I clean that gravel once every two days just to keep it nice as is let alone having twice the guppies to care for.

Agreed! Was shocked to see a guppy site saying numbers like that. Good to hear that I am not just being overly nuts about room in my tank. I will get the ones out that I am not keeping as soon as they are ready to go and just keep my best ones.

300 phssht! No one saying thats ridiculous on a guppy site! I am a new guppy keeper but come on, thats just silly. Like I said I got three and they filled my tank nicely. Now I am up to nine and thats nearly full as far as I see just with the everywhere swimming.

Was thinking I need cory and honey gourami but once I saw the guppy in my tank I said yep thats all for me and they need no help making a 55 look full.

So I will keep my babies until they are old enough to go and keep just one or two a batch and keep to the smaller amounts as I originally planned.

Thought they would get eaten more then they are but hey now I get to see what colours they start to get before I decide who to keep. Im slowly planting my floating plants to try and cull but my most avid hunter females are having no luck, fast little guys guppy fry are!