How Low Light Are Low Light Plants?

Celestialgirl

I have a 37 gallon (22" high) aquarium. I currently have 1 Java fern but I'd also like to add an Amazon sword, some crypts, anubias, and maybe some helanthium quadricostatus. I have a 45 LED that came with my tank. Will any of those plants be problematic or are there others I should try instead? I don't want a heavily planted tank, just a few in the one back corners (at least for now). No CO2 either.

My aquarium is also partly in front of a window, with a curtain in front. I could always open the curtain for a bit too, but that would likely give me algae problems. Thank you!

Aquaphobia

Did the light come with any information on output or colour temperature?

Summer22

I have 2 lightly planted tanks where I just have the small LED lights that came with the tank that are just for lighting up tank and not plants. I've had success with amazon sword until my goldfish ate it LOL. I also have annubias, water sprite, Java Fern, Java moss, and one type of plant that I forgot the name (it's tall and narrow with tiny leaves and grows very fast for having no real plant light). Stay away from Hornwart. That plant sheds it's pine needle like leaves badly and they float all around the tank. It's like trying to clean up after a real christmas tree. I also use flourish root tabs.

Celestialgirl

Did the light come with any information on output or colour temperature?

No and I called the company and they didn't know either.

Celestialgirl

I have 2 lightly planted tanks where I just have the small LED lights that came with the tank that are just for lighting up tank and not plants. I've had success with amazon sword until my goldfish ate it LOL. I also have annubias, water sprite, Java Fern, Java moss, and one type of plant that I forgot the name (it's tall and narrow with tiny leaves and grows very fast for having no real plant light). Stay away from Hornwart. That plant sheds it's pine needle like leaves badly and they float all around the tank. It's like trying to clean up after a real christmas tree. I also use flourish root tabs.
Awesome advice. Lol I'll stay away from that one!

Aquaphobia

Well, all you can do is try! I've had success with the plants mentioned in even the least lit tanks so you may find that your light is enough for those.

I will also recommend the various species of Hygrophila, which includes water wisteria.

Celestialgirl

Well, all you can do is try! I've had success with the plants mentioned in even the least lit tanks so you may find that your light is enough for those.

I will also recommend the various species of Hygrophila, which includes water wisteria.
Thanks! I was looking at a Hygrophila, but didn't realize it could have been water wisteria.

Aquaphobia

Water wisteria is Hygrophila difformis but my favourite has always been Hygrophila polysperma

Celestialgirl

Water wisteria is Hygrophila difformis but my favourite has always been Hygrophila polysperma
The polysperma is nice!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Inactive User
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies