How Long?

1. beckyboox3 Initiate Member

How long does it take for the signs of pregnancy begin to show?Will I know after a few days or does it take over a week to see? Also how long after placing male and female guppies together does it generally take for them to mate? ???

2. andrws24 Initiate Member

depends. i once had guppies but wat i did was buy 3 females an 1 male an within 2 weeks the females became fat. but if u would like to raise the babies you will have to get one of those breedingnets or sumthing like that so they dont get eaten by the parents and other fish

3. fletch Member Member

Have a look a the back of the large silver bag inside the female guppy and you should see a small dark opening, if you watch this over a few days you should be able to see it grow. Gestation is normaly about 28 days for guppies. You will know when she is ready to go in a breeeding trap by looking at her from above. she will look huge and ready to pop. Most of the time the guppies will stop moving as much and "waddle" rather than swim. When they do this put them in the breeding trap.

4. fletch Member Member

As for the mating part. Most guppies are already pregnant when you buy them. Dont expect to breed the males with the females in your tank for at least 6-9 months because the females can carry up to 9 consecutive amounts of sperm. this means that she could spawn from one mating 9 times even if she was only briefly in the tank with that male.