How long would 5 lb CO2 tank last for 29gal aquarium?

FishSplash01

Hello, I'm looking into 5 lb CO2 tank for my 29 gal tank. I intend to probably have 2 bubbles per sec or 1 bps, so I am wondering how long would 5 lb cylinder last? Should I get a bigger size like 10 lb or would 5 lb last a long time? I intend to have a timer as well so it would really only be on maybe 10 hours a day or less.

GlennO

A cylinder that size lasts me 3 to 4 months on my 64 gal. There are a few variables involved but I would guess that you should get at least 6 months or more.

Nickguy5467

my tank is 29 gal. i run pressurised c02 . i have 2 5lb cylinders. so when i need to swap i can just fill the other one whenenever. and one lasts me months , with my regulator i run it at like 2 or 3 bps .

RayClem

I have a 55 gallon tank and a 5 # tank of CO2 lasts me about 4 months. You should get 6-7 on a 29 gallon tank. You should be able to get away with only one tank if you can get it refilled easily. If refills are inconvenient,. then having a second tank might be warranted.

I understandd that there is currently a shortage of CO2 with some restaurants and microbreweries finding it difficult to source what they need. CO2 is produced commercially from natural gas. With the situation between Ukraine and Russia in Europe and restrictions on drilling in the States, obtaining natural gas for production of CO2 is difficult and expensive. Although CO2 can be extracted from the atmosphere, the process is not energy efficient. I have to fill my tank soon and wonder if I will have to pay a lot more than the last refill.

Nickguy5467

I have a 55 gallon tank and a 5 # tank of CO2 lasts me about 4 months. You should get 6-7 on a 29 gallon tank. You should be able to get away with only one tank if you can get it refilled easily. If refills are inconvenient,. then having a second tank might be warranted.

I understandd that there is currently a shortage of CO2 with some restaurants and microbreweries finding it difficult to source what they need. CO2 is produced commercially from natural gas. With the situation between Ukraine and Russia in Europe and restrictions on drilling in the States, obtaining natural gas for production of CO2 is difficult and expensive. Although CO2 can be extracted from the atmosphere, the process is not energy efficient. I have to fill my tank soon and wonder if I will have to pay a lot more than the last refill.
theres a place near me called Giant Co2. and they sell both cylinders and gas. its about 25 dollar refill. i hope that doesnt change lul

RayClem

theres a place near me called Giant Co2. and they sell both cylinders and gas. its about 25 dollar refill. i hope that doesnt change lul
I normally get my CO2 from a place called MacCarb. They deliver large CO2 bottles to restaurants for dispensing machines. However, they also sell to welders and others who get their tanks refilled in stores. It has normally been $25 for a refill, but I am expecting it will significantly more expensive next time.

Nickguy5467

I normally get my CO2 from a place called MacCarb. They deliver large CO2 bottles to restaurants for dispensing machines. However, they also sell to welders and others who get their tanks refilled in stores. It has normally been $25 for a refill, but I am expecting it will significantly more expensive next time.
well thats unfortunate

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Caterpie
Replies
Views
Zigi Zig
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies