How Long Will The Platy Pregnancy Last?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Daniostetras, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Daniostetras

Daniostetras Valued Member Member

Hey everyone!

Tank parameters and details:
    20 gallon cycled
    2 platies
    6 zebra danios
    1 amano shrimp

I just got my platies about 3 weeks ago, and ever since her belly has been growing. I think when I got her, her stomach was barely noticeable. Now, i don't know when she will give birth, or even if she's pregnant. Here are some pictures. (Sorry they are not very good) Thanks in advance!

Oops! Sorry they are horizontal instead of vertical!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Most livebearers(Platys are livebearers) carry for 28-30 days. Not knowing when she got pregnant you don't know exactly when she's due. Just fee her good, keep the water really clean and give her a place to hide/sleep and she will be fine.
    carol

3. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

I've had one panda platy for several months that is similar, almost 2x the size of all the others and I thought she was pregnant for the first few weeks but have now just resolved she has a weight issue :p

4. OP
    OP
    Daniostetras

Okay. Well I'm guessing she got pregnant around the first week or two of October so she should perhaps be due anytime now in the next 1-2 weeks?

5. slimeneo

slimeneo Valued Member Member

Probably. If you want some fry to survive, get a lot of plants for them to hide in :)

6. OP
    OP
    Daniostetras

Plants sound good. I already have a planted tank, but would this plan work?
    When my platy is giving birth, get a bushy plant to move right near it, so the fry will hide in it, and when mom is done giving birth, promptly remove that plant from the tank along with the fry in it. Will this work or no? Thanks

7. aquatic

How long will the platy pregnancy last? I'm guessing not 9 months!

I would just leave the plant in it. I doubt you'd be able to take the plant and fry in one swoop. And for putting the plant next to her I wouldn't bother; she'll probably swim away. Just drop it in, she'll likely go to it anyway, and the fry will gravitate to if for cover on their own too.

8. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

in my experience... no it wont work the fry are fast little things and they will just find somewhere else. The thing with plants which is why they are so good is that the fry can get inside from almost any angle.... but they can get out from almost any angle too!

Move the plant near to her if you can but she will probably swim away and find somewhere else and the last thing you want to do is stress her out. Having the plant there will provide cover for the babies for a while. I also have lots of nooks and crannies tubes and whatnot. The best spots my fry like are under my ornaments I poke a hole in the substrate under them then place the decoration over the top leaving a little way in of course.

I also have a breeder net with a little tray at the bottom where the fry can get but the adults cant I pop the fry in there when I do catch them. (usually during a gravel vac i stop the siphon and slide a net under the bottom and hey presto one trapped fry.) I have hiding places in the net too.

9. slimeneo

I find that after the mom gives birth, using a turkey baster is the best way to catch the sneaky fry :) (of course you'll have to have another tank or a breeder net for the fry, though)

10. aquatic

Re: How long will the platy pregnancy last? I'm guessing not 9 months!

Turkey baster? Where was this good idea last night! lol

11. OP
    OP
    Daniostetras

Hmmm turkey baster sounds like it would work. But would it stress out or possibly injure the fry? Also, I understand I could leave the fry in the tank, but how would they eat? Finally, are we sure she is pregnant? Haha because I don't want to be planning something that will not even happen! Today she was slightly bigger.

12. slimeneo

I don't think it would stress out the fry, after all it's only for a couple of seconds... better than getting eaten, I would say. If you leave them in the fry they'll eat left over food or micro-organisms on plants, or you can get some baby powdered food/liquid food for them. From the pictures, she looks pregnant to me.

13. aquatic

If you don't have fry food like hikari first bites, you can crush up regular flake food until its almost a powder consistency. Keep in mind that the first bites are higher in protein which helps them grow bigger faster.

14. OP
    OP
    Daniostetras

Thanks! I do have a fry food, although its not hikari first bites. I'm so excited!! I hope the birth is successful! Also, does the turkey baster need to be unused? Thanks so much everyone!!

15. slimeneo

Yes it does need to be unused.

16. aquatic

Yeah, I'd go unused, for the health of the fish and your own personal health (if my wife found me using the kitchen stuff I'd be typing from a hospital ICU :p )

17. OP
    OP
    Daniostetras

Okay. I'm still deciding between the breeder and the turkey baster method. Does the breeder stress the fish out a lot?

I spotted the gravid spot yesterday! I can see all the little eyes!!!!! Sorry I'm a little over excited hahahaha. Does that mean she's almost due? Ive had her for about 4 weeks now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  18. aquatic

They do get a tendency to stress when put into a restricted space but who wouldn't. I think you're better off just putting the fry into it after they are born.

Edit: congrats, I get excited when my guppies and platies are close to dropping. I'd say yours could drop any time now, especially if you are seeing eyes :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  19. OP
    OP
    Daniostetras

YAYY!!! I can't wait! At least I think I'm seeing eyes. Are they small blackish spheres in the gravid spot? I'm not exactly sure how to describe them.

I'll just go with the turkey baster/netting method then. Thanks so much everyone!

Sorry I forgot to mention this before, but I have a 4 gallon tank handy that I plan to raise the fry in. Should I put my platy in there before she gives birth or just stick to the original plan? Sorry but thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  20. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

Re: How long will the platy pregnancy last? I'm guessing not 9 months!

That's exciting! I use the baster and it works great. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice