How long will ram cichlids take care of fry?

V1kram

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with raising ram fry. My pair of Black Rams finally had a successful spawn and are currently raising free swimming fry. I was wondering at what age will the parents stop taking care of the fry, so that I can move them out of the tank.

Thanks!

coralbandit

After 3-4 weeks there is little left the parents can teach the fry .
Waiting as long as you can is risky .
I believe many say when the fry will eat on their own they can be separated from parents .
I tried to get my fry separate around 2-3 weeks .
The longest I suggest leaving fry is 4 weeks or until the pair spawns again .
Blacks seem to be either the best parents going or homicidal maniacs , glad yours are good parents .

Upvote 0

brhau

Hi coralbandit, I’m an apisto keeper and ram curious. Though all species are different, with my apistos I’ve been able to leave mom with the fry longer than 4 weeks if the male is not present. She’s not teaching them anymore, but she will tolerate them better if she isn’t spawning. Do you think it would be the same with rams?

The reason I ask is I have limited space and trying to figure out if I can breed and grow out with just a 20 long and a 15. Once the fry are 2-3 weeks old, the thought would be to split up the parents and distribute the fry among the two tanks. Could that work?

Upvote 0

coralbandit

It could work but rams are much worse parents then most Apistos .
If they raise fry then removing the male often leads to fry being eaten by the female also in many cases.
The males will care for fry better IME .

Upvote 0

brhau

but rams are much worse parents then most Apistos .
So I hear! Is there any age/size at which the juvies are safer from predation? For example, if they’ve outgrown a 15g, could they coexist with an adult at that point?

Upvote 0

coralbandit

I never added fry back to adult tanks .
I always tried to keep age groups together .
If the fry are raised with parents then all is good ,but they could be eaten by parents up to 4-5 weeks depending how large they are .
You would know well before that though as they would be eating the fry when younger also odds are .

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank GBR Fry Survival Issue
Replies
Views
Racing1113
  • Question
Replies