How long will it take to cycle and ammonia is stuck?! HELP

BettasAreSuperior

AHHHHH!! SO FRUSTRATED AND DISCOURAGED. My nitrogen cycle is taking 8 weeks and I used bottled BB and media. What is taking so long?! Jeez. So, I added bottled BB and media two days ago. How long will it take to cycle? mattgirl can you help?

AggressiveAquatics

What are you using for ammonia? Food? Pure ammonia? Also what’s your ph and is there any decor in your tank that could be leeching things into the water. And what are your parameters at the moment

mattgirl

That is the one question I can't answer since each tank is different. If you could fill me in on what you have been doing to get this tank cycled I might be able to suggest something that might help but even then I can't tell you how long it is going to take.

BettasAreSuperior

AggressiveAquatics said:
What are you using for ammonia? Food? Pure ammonia? Also what’s your ph and is there any decor in your tank that could be leeching things into the water. And what are your parameters at the moment
Yes, I am using fish food which breaks down into ammonia. The ammonia is stuck at 0.5 ppm. I just have driftwood and a bunch of live plants that are coming in a few days. My ph is 7.6 to 8.0. My parameters are 0.5 ppm of ammonia, 0 ppm of nitrite and 0 ppm of nitrate.
mattgirl said:
That is the one question I can't answer since each tank is different. If you could fill me in on what you have been doing to get this tank cycled I might be able to suggest something that might help but even then I can't tell you how long it is going to take.
Oh, okay. Well, hopefully this info will help you out a bit. I am using fish food which breaks down into ammonia. The ammonia is stuck at 0.5 ppm. I just have driftwood and a bunch of live plants that are coming in a few days. My ph is 7.6 to 8.0. My parameters are 0.5 ppm of ammonia, 0 ppm of nitrite and 0 ppm of nitrate.

AggressiveAquatics

BettasAreSuperior said:
Yes, I am using fish food which breaks down into ammonia. The ammonia is stuck at 0.5 ppm. I just have driftwood and a bunch of live plants that are coming in a few days. My ph is 7.6 to 8.0. My parameters are 0.5 ppm of ammonia, 0 ppm of nitrite and 0 ppm of nitrate.

Oh, okay. Well, hopefully this info will help you out a bit. I am using fish food which breaks down into ammonia. The ammonia is stuck at 0.5 ppm. I just have driftwood and a bunch of live plants that are coming in a few days. My ph is 7.6 to 8.0. My parameters are 0.5 ppm of ammonia, 0 ppm of nitrite and 0 ppm of nitrate.
That’s really weird how you haven’t even gotten nitrites yet.

BettasAreSuperior

AggressiveAquatics said:
That’s really weird how you haven’t even gotten nitrites yet.
Agreed. IDK what is going on. I really don't know. Fish food should break down into nitrites.

mattgirl

BettasAreSuperior said:

Have you changed any of the water since you started this cycle? Quite often a simple water change will get things moving forward. The cycling process tends to deplete the original minerals in the water. When we do a water change it replaces those minerals so gives the bacteria what it needs to finish up the job.

There are those that can go into detail as to what those minerals are. I try to keep it as simple as I can since what they are isn't as important as just knowing you are adding what's needed by doing a water change.

BettasAreSuperior

mattgirl said:
Have you changed any of the water since you started this cycle? Quite often a simple water change will get things moving forward. The cycling process tends to deplete the original minerals in the water. When we do a water change it replaces those minerals so gives the bacteria what it needs to finish up the job.

There are those that can go into detail as to what those minerals are. I try to keep it as simple as I can since what they are isn't as important as just knowing you are adding what's needed by doing a water change.
No, I haven't. I will do a 30% water change to get the minerals going again. No it's fine. I don't need to waste your time talking about minerals as it is unnecessary. I value people's time, lol. Also, thanks mattgirl . I will WC the water right now.

mattgirl

BettasAreSuperior said:
No, I haven't. I will do a 30% water change to get the minerals going again. No it's fine. I don't need to waste your time talking about minerals as it is unnecessary. I value people's time, lol. Also, thanks mattgirl . I will WC the water right now.
I would actually change at least half of it. Be sure you temp match and dechlorinate the water before pouring it back in there. Keep in mind, although we can't see the bacteria it is still a living thing so needs to be handled with some care.

BettasAreSuperior

mattgirl said:
I would actually change at least half of it. Be sure you temp match and dechlorinate the water before pouring it back in there. Keep in mind, although we can't see the bacteria it is still a living thing so needs to be handled with some care.
Okay, I guess I will do a 50% WC. The temp for the tank is 77F so I will try my best to match that.

Twinklingtea

I'm confused, did you use media from a cycled tank? I've only done a couple of cycles myself, but my first tank using only bottled BB didn't get started until I went to my LFS and they gave me some seeded media. My 2nd tank took about 2 weeks to show nitrites, then it got stuck there for 2 weeks, and that was with cycled media. 2 days is probably not enough time. If you added the media 8 weeks ago at the same time you started to add fish food it's possible that there wasn't enough ammonia in the water yet and the bacteria died. Hopefully this second round + water change will do the trick!

BettasAreSuperior

Twinklingtea said:
I'm confused, did you use media from a cycled tank? I've only done a couple of cycles myself, but my first tank using only bottled BB didn't get started until I went to my LFS and they gave me some seeded media. My 2nd tank took about 2 weeks to show nitrites, then it got stuck there for 2 weeks, and that was with cycled media. 2 days is probably not enough time. If you added the media 8 weeks ago at the same time you started to add fish food it's possible that there wasn't enough ammonia in the water yet and the bacteria died. Hopefully this second round + water change will do the trick!
Yes, the tank was my 5 gallon which had been running for 1 year and 3 months. Thank you for the info!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom