Question How Long Will It Take For My Tank To Be Cycled?

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! So I had a 20 gallon tank that i kept guppies and ghost shrimp in for about 7 months. I chose them to get the tank started on the nitrogen cycle and to become more familiar with the hobby. I finally felt ready to move onto fish that I had been wanting from the beginning , so we re-homed the guppies and shrimp. However, the tank was in desperate need of a deep cleaning because I had gotten rather busy and was unable to clean it as often. However, by deep cleaning I mean completely emptying out the tank and substrate, power washing the filters, and completely filling it with new water. Which, may not have been the best decision, but my family sort of took over with that. Anyway, is there any way that any possible bacteria from before had survived? I did reuse a medium piece of driftwood, a live plant, and of course my filter. The cleaned tank has been up for almost a week now, with the items above and my Betta fish. Any answer is appreciated! -Caroline

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends.
1. How long was the tank without fish in it?
2. What do you mean by "power washed the filters"?

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Morpheus1967 said:
Depends.
1. How long was the tank without fish in it?
2. What do you mean by "power washed the filters"?
1. Do you mean after we re-homed them? If so, the same day we gave them away we deep cleaned the tank and refilled it, putting my Betta in there as well.
2. We used a pretty powerful hose to clean the actual filter cartridges themselves (I should have been more specific) of the algae growing on them.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Donthemon said:
Sounds like you will be starting the cycle all over again......
Ah ok, that’s what I was assuming. I’m ok with that, just eager to start again I suppose! Thank you very much for helping.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yea, unfortunately that pretty much took care of your cycle when you did that to the filters.

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello
Process will take anywhere from 2 – 8 weeks If you rinse or use tap water that contains chloramine you killed all leaving bacteria however Is also depend on setup I have done same think couple week ago on 40.gal when I was replacing substrate to soil. After two weeks my nitrite has spiked and fallen to 0ppm and I add more fish into the aquarium

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Morpheus1967 said:
Yea, unfortunately that pretty much took care of your cycle when you did that to the filters.
Yeah, I was thinking that would probably be the deal breaker. Thank you so much for your help!

Zigi Zig said:
Hello
Process will take anywhere from 2 – 8 weeks If you rinse or use tap water that contains chloramine you killed all leaving bacteria however Is also depend on setup I have done same think couple week ago on 40.gal when I was replacing substrate to soil. After two weeks my nitrite has spiked and fallen to 0ppm and I add more fish into the aquarium
Oh ok that is true I was thinking about that. Great, I’m hoping it won’t take too long, thank you so much for your help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom