How long will fish live in a power outage?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jcmguy, Aug 10, 2014.

1. jcmguy

jcmguyValued MemberMember

My power just went out and im freaking out. I reported the outage and nownim waiting but how long do my little guys have?? Please hurry!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Delaneyw

DelaneywWell Known MemberMember

You can get a battery operated air pump to run an airstone for oxygen. I know we will be getting a few as we live in the Midwest and we recently lost power for 12 hours. Luckily we only had a Betta at the time and he was fine.

3. delta5

delta5Well Known MemberMember

Theres too many variables to give you an answer. Make sure your filter media is submerged and if need be use a cup and start pouring tank water back into the tank like a waterfall.

4. Andrew Sackett

Andrew SackettValued MemberMember

You could rap the tank in blankets to try to keep the temp up

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. 77Impala

77ImpalaWell Known MemberMember

You can move the filter media and bio filter into the tanks water. If no air pump you can stir the water gently say every 5 to 10 minutes to help agitate the water column and exchange the gasses. If the water gets to warm (this is summer time here in the United States) you can add a few ice cubes into a plastic bag and move it about the tanks water to help reduce the temperature.

6. hopeful fishWell Known MemberMember

If you have a battery air pump, your best bet is setting it up and putting the filter media in the area where there is the most water movement. If you don't have one, making sure that the media stays wet/putting the media in the tank will keep the bacteria alive, and you can always operate the HOB by hand by pouring water in for a few minutes every 5-10 minutes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice