How long will Betta live in a bag?

1. ahlzoc Initiate Member

Hi guys, this one is for a friend who's not on the forum.

A friend of mine in the US purchased a Betta online, and because of bad weather the shipping is delayed, by the time the betta reaches its new home he will have been bagged up for about a week. My friend is understandably worried sick about him, hes expected to arrive 3 days from now. Apparently the bag is inflated with pure oxygen and betta is lightly sedated, water is also infused with Indian Almond leaves. The breeder assures that the water had 0 ammonia at the time he was bagged, and that he wasn't fed for a day or two before he was put in the bag. Unfortunately I do not believe the bag is one of the new breathable ones. Is there any hope of him making it home alive?

Sorry for the not so happy topic, and please no criticism of the breeder or shippers, they have done the best they can given the circumstances.

Thanks for any help.

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

If it's not a breathable bag there's a possibility it can die,buy the survive in cups for weeks it should be ok.

3. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

People ship fish all over the world with good results, hopefully the fish will be fine. Let us know how he makes out. Alison:;hi1

4. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Breather bags are not suitable for bettas anyways. They require air from the surface as opposed to air from the water. I've had fish shipped from Thailand with no problems, this takes over a week. He should be fine. I'm wondering why they sedated him though.

5. ahlzoc Initiate Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll let you know how it goes (fingers crossed).

From what I heard the sedation was to try and reduce the likelihood of him chewing his tail during travel, but I'm not 100% sure.

6. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm, sedating him probably reduces the amount of air he needs too. Since he's not as stressed he isn't breathing heavily.

7. Mcasella Well Known Member Member

Both of my girls for Thailand took a week to get to me. They came in as feisty as ever, without the ial infused water.

8. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

None of mine had IAL or sedation either. I think it's unnecessary..

9. ahlzoc Initiate Member

Got a call from my friend, Mr. Betta arrived safe, a bit thin and very hungry but he is home thanks for all your answers guys!

10. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Glad to hear he's ok! What tail type is he?(I'm nosy lol)

11. ahlzoc Initiate Member

Halfmoon :) he hasn't damaged his tail during travel so once he settles in I'm sure he will look beautiful

12. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thats awesome! The first time I ordered a HM he had splits in his caudal fin. Tell your friend good luck with him for me:)

13. ahlzoc Initiate Member

I will do, she sounded so relieved on the phone today, I think she's been stressing like crazy!

14. Cef Member Member

Tell her to get a good pic and send it to you so that we could see!

15. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I would be stressed too!

16. ahlzoc Initiate Member

Little guy already has the energy to get angry at the camera haha (that thing on his fin is just a bubble by the way, blurry photo makes it look weird)

[​IMG]

17. Grimund Well Known Member Member

That's quite a pretty betta

18. Cef Member Member

Hope he keeps those colors! Super handsome!

19. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Gorgeous betta. Alison:;hi2